Chapter 8

Oh god, oh god, oh god. What am I going to do? Amy and I are supposed to go back to our time in a few hours, how am I supposed to resolve this mess I'm in? I can't just disappear without answering John, but wether I answer him or not, I would be leaving him hurt and confused. I did say that I love him, it would make no sense to just run away after all of those letters. Even if I gave him the best explanation that I possibly could in the time slot that I have left, he would probably go looking for me no matter what I said. I just needed more time to figure out this hot mess that has become my life. I wish the time machine was more advanced, so I could travel to the night of the winters ball and tell myself to be careful. But no, that was impossible, the machine can't do that. I just finished my task of throwing out perishable food when I looked up and saw Amy standing at the other side of the table. I guess I was so deep in thought that I didn't hear her footsteps. Amy was stiffly staring at the space in front of me and I glanced at her, concerned.
"Amy, what happe-" I stopped mid-sentence. I felt as if a bucket of ice filled my stomach and my heart dropped into my feet. I looked to Amy's hand with dread. She was holding John's letter. The letter asking for my hand in marriage.
"I can explain." I said cautiously. Amy looked up at me, her face filled with disappointment, anger and confusion.
"What is there to explain, y/n? John Laurens is asking you to MARRY him!" She shouted. Tears flooded my eyes.
"I didn't mean for this to happen!" I cried out.
"How could this have happened unintentionally? I saw you read all those letters, check every post office and eagerly write back! You knew what you were getting into, I gave you warnings but you continued anyway!" She yelled, piercing my heart with every word.
"Everyday of that journey you were distant, uninterested, and now I know why." Amy looked at me with slight disgust and disappointment
"You didn't give a damn about those interviews, you just needed a reason to stay here and write to John!" She told me angrily. Tears were pouring out of my eyes rapidly and I couldn't stop them. She was walking away.
"I tried to tell them I was leaving, I really did!" I yelled at her back. Amy slowly turned around, awaiting my explanation.
"I told them that I was thinking about moving away with you, but they loved and cared for me so much I couldn't bear to break their hearts like that!" I shouted helplessly.
"This is exactly why we weren't supposed to get attached! Look at what you have gotten yourself into!" Amy responded angrily.
"What about you and Lafayette?" I said defensively. She looked confused.
"Me? And Laf? We hung out one night over three weeks ago!"
"John told me that Laf wrote to you, and you brushed him off like we was dirt. He was heartbroken!" I told her, exaggerating about that last sentence.
"I got rid of him because I had to!" Amy's voiced cracked and a tear slid down her cheek. I had clearly touched a nerve. "I had to dismiss him so our relationship didn't turn into this!" She gestured to me.
"I-I just need more time to fix this! Then it will all be over!" I tried to convince her.
"You don't have more time! You can't stay here forever, you could end up resetting history, and cause bad things to happen. And besides, you know what happens in South Carolina." Amy's harsh truths lashed at my heart like a whip.
"Look at the mess you have made!" She continued. "I don't want anything to do with this." Amy shook her head and she made a decision. She started to walk away but I grabbed her wrist and she turned to face me.
"I have a life to continue, and a job I want to keep. So do you. But I am not going to throw away my future just to stay here and help you. You're gonna have to figure this out by yourself, because I'm leaving." Amy tugged her hand away from me and I collapsed onto the floor, crying. I heard Amy grabbing her suitcases upstairs and I quickly ran to her room to try to convince her to stay, but when I walked in, she was gone.

A/n: hope u liked that :) i can't publish as much because school started up a few weeks ago, and sorry this chapter is kinda short.