A Snippet

Author's Note: Hey! Here's a quick little peek at an excerpt from the prologue of "Heroes." Thank you for your patience. Enjoy! <3 thecatgurl =^._.^=
———————————————————————

I gently wrapped my fingers around Peter's silver locks. I basked in the peace of his sleep until his eyes peaked open to look at me, followed shortly by a grin lying across his mouth.
"What are you doing up?" he questioned, his voice still groggy from sleep.
"I can't fall asleep," I answered, continuing to rub circles into his head.
"Still on Utah time?"
"Yeah. Because somebody just had to see the World's Largest Pit," I teased. He wrapped his arms around my waist.
"Hey. You have to admit, my choice was cooler than yours."
"You're crazy. A stupid hole in the Earth is nowhere near cooler than a two-hundred and seventy-five foot tree."
His hand trailed up my arm and held mine.
"I am crazy. Because I love a person that made me travel to the other side of the country to look at a tree."
"You know what would've been worse?"
"Hm?"
"A stupid hole in the ground."
Peter's eyes grew bright as he burst into laughter. He rolled over and placed his hands beside my shoulders, hovering above me now with a smirk.
"You loved that pit. I will go home tomorrow and show you the pictures of the awe-struck expression on your face when you saw it's majesty."
I chuckled and pulled Peter by his shirt down to me. His lips crashed into mine and brilliant streams of energy sparked and lingered throughout the room.
I affectionately traced the side of his face.
"You know, you don't have to go home."
"But who else will fulfill the important job of occupying my mom's basement?"
I rolled my eyes and smiled.
"I'm serious, Peter. You could move in here with me."
His energy grew tense. Intimidated.
"I just...I don't know. I need to be there for Lorna."
I placed my palms softly against his chest, calming him down with a warm glow from my fingertips.
"Bluebird's okay. She's out of middle school, now. She's more independent."
"But her powers..."
"She's had them for three years. And besides, it's not like your mom doesn't have experience with developing powers."
Peter's gaze darted to the ground and his shoulders heaved with a sigh.
"I love you. I love spending nights here with you. I'm just scared that—"
The hairs on my arms stood as the world suddenly shook beneath us. It was a quick jostle, the trees outside whipping jaggedly for a brief second. We looked at each other utterly confused, and a bad feeling presented itself in the core of my chest. It was something with unspeakable depth, as of it lied down in the very center of the Earth. It was something dark and vile and my hands immediately trembled with fear.

"What the hell was that?"