Chapter 6

Marinette's POV

It took a little bit of time to learn, but crutches came pretty natural after a day of using them. I mean, I'd have to get used to them since I would be using them for a few weeks. After I met with the doctor with Chat, I was told that it was a bad sprain. Chat brought me home after that, and I had to make up a story about falling down the stairs and Alya bringing me to the doctors to my parents. Thank god they believed me.

They let me skip school the next day to get used to crutches. Being the uncoordinated person I am, it took the entire day to learn to not fall on my butt every second. I wasn't scared about using the crutches—being the klutz I am I have had to deal with much worse. I was more nervous at how some people may react—one person in particular. I was positive that I wouldn't hear the end of it from a certain blonde.

So when I walked into the classroom, I wasn't shocked in the slightest at the fact that Chloe burst out in laughter.

"What the hell did you do this time, Maritrash?" She gasped through her laughter.

"I-I fell down the stairs," I looked down, not liking all the eyes on me.

"Oh my god, you're such a klutz," Chloe broke out into laughter again.

"Just shut up already, Chloe," a male voice said from behind me.

I turned my head to see none other than Adrien. He had balled fists, a clenched jaw, and his shoulders seemed tight. He reminded me of somebody, but I couldn't put my finger on it...

"Adrikins," Chloe started with a hand on her chest, "What did you just say?"

"I told you to shut up, Chloe, so why didn't you do so," he retorted.

She seemed to be in utter shock. She was in so much shock that her mouth dropped to the floor. But only for a split second. A moment later, she was sitting down with her mouth completely closed and looking down at her desk.

I looked back at Adrien and he gave me a small smile. I was about to open my mouth and thank him, but the bell interrupted me. Ms. Bustier entered and quieted everybody. I crutched along to my desk, and was pelted with millions upon millions of questions from Alya. But I could barely hear any of the questions she asked me. I could only focus on Adrien. But I didn't look at him dreamily like I usually did. This time, I was trying to see why he had stood up for me and who he reminded me of.

Le Time Skip (the end of the day / the beginning of Adrien's fencing practice)

I needed to ask him or I wouldn't be able to sleep. After heading down to the gym, I looked for Adrien. It was a little confused seeing that they all had their masks on. They were also all in the middle of, well, fencing.

I crutched toward the only person that wasn't actively doing something. I tapped them on the shoulder when I finally reached them. They turned around probably wondering who had just tapped them.

"Hi, um, do you know which one is Adrien? I need to ask him something," I explained to the the person.

"M-M-Marinette?" a female voice said from the person. "W-what happened?"

I knew this voice, but couldn't quite tell who it was.

I politely asked, "I'm sorry, but do I know you?"

The person peeled back their mask to reveal Kagami. She had a worried expression on her face, and a small blush, but that may have been from all the fencing.

"Sorry, I forgot I-I had the mask on," she sheepishly smiled and blushed deeper.

"Oh, it's fine," I smiled back. "To answer your question, I fell down the stairs."

I had told the story so many times that it became almost natural to say. It was automatic, but I still felt the pang of guilt in my chest for lying.

"I'm so sorry," she frowned. "I-I was a-actually meaning to ask if you were alright yesterday after it all happened."

"Oh, I was actually meaning to do the same," I told her. "I also wanted to apologize for taking off like that. I should have stayed to try and help you."

She looked shocked to hear this, and turned crimson, "W-wow, t-that's sweet so. I mean, that's so s-s-sweet." She coughed into her arm and continued. "I'm not mad, I totally understand. It must have been scary. I know if it were me, I'd run. But I couldn't run this time."

I cocked my head to the side, "Why's that?"

She hesitated before saying, "Because I wanted to try and save you."

"Aw, that's so nice of you to say," I smiled at my sweet friend.

"I hope you know I'm not just saying it either," she blushed and looked down at her feet. "I care about you and hate seeing you get hurt. I feel like I didn't do a good job of protecting you."

"Kagami," I put my hand on her shoulder and she visibly tightened, "you did your best, and if it weren't for you distracting the akuma, Chat wouldn't have been able to grab me."

"I know. I still—" Kagami started.

"Hey, Marinette," Adrien yelled to me as he ran over.

"Adrien," I began, but was engulfed in a bear hug.

"Marinette," he said into my ear sending tingles down my spine, "I'm sorry about yesterday,"

"W-what?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"I couldn't protect you," he said, and I thought his voice cracked a tint.

Now I know who he reminds me of, I thought to myself.

"You sound like somebody who's actually really good at protecting me," I giggled.

"I'm still sorry," he told me pulling away.

I laughed at the situation we were in, "It's kind of ironic, I came here to thank you for protecting me this morning."

"Oh, that," he rubbed the back of his neck. "She was starting to annoy me, and she had no right to say those things to you, so I felt like it was my duty to intervene."

"Well thank you," I said, remembering my moment in the hospital with Chat.

It was weird. I had thought about it many times after it happened. I don't even now what possessed me to do it in the moment. But something inside me told me to kiss him. And even after I kissed him, I didn't feel fulfilled. Almost as if I wasn't supposed to kiss just his cheek.

"It was my pleasure, Prin-Marinette," he winced.

Did he almost just call me—no. He must have accidentally—no.

Why the hell is Adrien reminding me of Chat all of a sudden?

Hope y'all enjoy!