Chapter 12

Marinette's POV

I must've misheard. I couldn't have heard her right. She didn't just tell me she loves me. That couldn't possibly be it. I'm hearing things.

"W-what did you just say?" I asked Kagami.

"I love you, Marinette Dupain-Cheng. I've loved you ever since I met you at try outs," she repeated.

All of the blood drained from my face. I didn't know what to say. This couldn't be happening. I didn't like her like that. I liked her as a friend. I thought I had made it clear that we were friends. I didn't like. . .girls either. I actually didn't know she liked girls. I didn't know she felt that way about me. And that word, love. That was such a strong word. How could she love me?

"M-Marinette are you okay?" Kagami asked me.

"I-I-I can't r-reply to that, Kagami," I whispered.

"What do you mean?" She asked me.

I hesitated with my answer. I wanted to be her friend. I hated hurting my friends and the people I care for, but I had to give her a straightforward answer.

I sighed before spitting out, "Kagami, I can't return those feelings."

Her smile faded immediately. The hope in her eyes vanished. She looked down at the floor, and I prayed that she wouldn't start crying.

"Kagami, I want to be your f—" I began.

Before I could finish my sentence though, she grabbed my shirt collar. She pulled me close to her. She pulled me so close that I could feel her breath on my face.

"Marinette, just tell me you love me. Please I just want to hear you say it. Even if you don't mean it, just say it. Please, please, please," she implored in a whisper.

"Kagami, I—" I started to say again.

This time she interrupted me by kissing me. She was kissing me passionately as I tried pushing her off. I didn't kiss back because I couldn't lead her on like that. I kept trying to get her off of me, but she wouldn't back down. Finally, somebody stepped in to pry her off of me.

"Didn't you hear her?" The male voice asked Kagami. "She told you she doesn't like you, so why can't you respect that?"

Kagami and Adrien were in each other's face. Adrien looked pissed. He looked more pissed than I had ever seen him in my life. I wiped my lips with my sleeve to forget that kiss.

"What did you do, Adrien? Did you brainwash her? Did you bribe her? What did you do to make her not like me?" Kagami yelled in Adrien's face.

At this point, the fencing team's attention was brought to our little moment.

"It's not my fault she doesn't like you, Kagami," Adrien defended. "You need to respect her decision, no matter how much it hurts."

The two of them glared at each other. Kagami, out of the blue, shoved Adrien. Adrien stumbled back a bit, but stood his ground in his new spot. Kagami's clenched fist then shot towards Adrien's face. I gasped, and closed my eyes. I couldn't watch him get hurt. I heard the sound of Kagami's fist hitting Adrien, and cringed. The entire team made an 'ooh' noise, and began to ran over. I opened my eyes to see Adrien stumble back again as he held his jaw. Kagami was holding her bleeding fist.

"You can hurt me all you want, but don't ever hurt her," Adrien warned. "You need to stop confusing her. Consider how she feels."

Kagami turned to Adrien with a pissed off expression. She was huffing mad, and I was afraid she was going to hit Adrien or somebody else. She ran toward Adrien and I knew she was going to hurt him again.

I closed my eyes and yelled, "Stop it!"

Every sound seemed to stop and the Earth seemed to stop spinning. I opened my eyes to see that everybody was staring at me.

"Please, stop it," my voice cracked and it was then I realized that I was crying. "I'm sorry, Kagami, but I don't like you. That doesn't give you the right to hurt Adrien or anybody else I care about. Please just respect the fact that I don't like you the way you like me."

Kagami turned to me, and began to walk toward me. On instinct I took a few steps backward to create distance. Kagami seemed to sense I was scared because she stopped moving toward me. I could see at this distance that she was crying.

"But why? Why can't you learn to love me? I'll be good to you. I'll treat you right. I'll never hurt you," she cried out in a yell.

"Can't you see you're already hurting me?" I retorted before I knew what I was saying.

She winced, and I knew I had said the wrong thing.

"K-Kagami, I—" I started to apologize, but was interrupted yet again.

But it wasn't by a kiss or by somebody speaking. It was the soft flap of a butterfly's wings that shut me up. The second I saw the purple butterfly, I froze. Before I could even react, it landed on Kagami. I was paralyzed with fear to the point where I could only stand and watch as she was akumatized.

"Marinette, you need to get out of here," Adrien yelled as he grabbed my hand.

He then dragged me out of the building. We ran for what felt like years until we arrived at his house.

"Stay here," he ordered as he put me in his room's bathroom.

He was about to shut the door when something appeared behind him.

"Adrien, watch out," I yelled a warning.

Adrien turned around to face the akuma, but was thrown to the side. I gasped, and held back a sob as I closed the door. I leaned against the closed door for support. I breathed heavily, and prayed that the akuma didn't see me. But judging by the door opening and me falling backward into the floor, the akuma saw me. I looked around the room, and saw that Adrien was gone. I wouldn't blame him for running. The akuma grabbed me, and I screamed. But before the akuma could do anything else to me, she was knocked to the ground. She dropped me in the process, and I landed on my butt. I had no time to react before somebody else picked me up, and jumped out the window with me in their arms.

"I've got you, Princess," Chat Noir assured. "I won't let her hurt you anymore."

Kind of a heavy chapter. Hope y'all enjoyed!