Chapter 9

Three Weeks Later

Marinette's POV

My leg was finally free of the cast, and my armpits were free of crutches. I felt like a new person—not really though. I didn't tell anybody, and waited to see their reactions when I walked into school. Of course, everybody was happy that I could finally walk without needing aid. I was glad that I was able to walk again too.

Later that day, I sat down at lunch with Nino, Alya, and Adrien. Adrien was in the middle of telling everybody something when I sat down.

"Hey, Marinette," Adrien greeted.

"Hey, guys," I smiled and waved. "What were you all talking about?"

"Oh, Adrien was inviting us to his fencing match Friday after school," Alya filled me in.

Adrien nodded, "Yeah, I was actually about to invite you too, Marinette. Are you free?"

I thought about if I had any plans for Friday after school, and drew up a blank.

"Yeah, I can come," I said. "I love watching fencing."

Adrien beamed, "Awesome! Thanks, Mari. What about you guys? Can you come?"

Alya and Nino seemed to mentally look through their schedules for a minute. Alya even went as far as pulling her phone out and checking her calendar.

"Oh, darn," Alya exclaimed. "I have to babysit my little sisters. I wish I could make it."

She was obviously lying, and I could tell what Alya was doing. She gave me a look that confirmed my suspicions. She was trying to give Adrien and I alone time. She was such a good wing woman. The only thing was I was so dumb when I was alone with Adrien; it was almost like my brain turned to mush whenever he was around.

"That's a bummer," Adrien sighed before turning to his other friend. "What about you, Nino? Are you free, bro?"

"Yeah I'm—" Nino started, but was interrupted by Alya's elbow colliding with her boyfriend's side.

Nino rubbed his ribs, and glared at Alya.

Alya spoke for him saying, "No you're not. Since there are two children, you have to help me. Right, Nino?"

Nino seemed a little confused for a minute before Alya made a face. Nino turned to me then looked at Adrien before realizing what Alya meant.

"Yeah sorry, bro," Nino frowned.

Those two were so good at lying—note the sarcasm.

"It's alright," Adrien brushed it off. "I guess it'll be just you and me, Marinette."

I blushed before saying, "I can't wait."

Le Time Skip (Friday)

I arrived at the gym a few minutes early to get a good seat. I sat right in the front and watched as people began to set up the equipment for the matches. We were going to be facing a group from some other school in the city. They were really good and were undefeated last year. Of course, our team was undefeated last year too, so these matches could go either way. Adrien said that he was competing in the sixth round and would talk to me before then.

As I was engulfed by different thoughts, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Kagami in her fencing uniform. She wore a light blush on her face and seemed nervous about something—probably the match that she would be in the middle of in a few minutes.

"Hey," I waved with a smile.

"H-hey," she returned the greeting before sitting down on the bench next to me.

"Are you nervous for your match?" I asked trying to make conversation.

She looked at me for a minute, but returned her gaze to the ground before saying, "I'm actually more scared of what I'm about to ask you right now."

I cocked my head to the side, "And what would the thing you wanna ask me be?"

She hesitated and I could tell that she was nervous. This must be huge. I was itching with curiosity to know what she wanted to tell me.

She took a deep breath and said, "If I win my match can I take you to see that new romance movie?"

She said it so fast that I couldn't even understand her at first. But then it hit me. Kagami was asking to hang out.

"Sure, I love catching movies with friends," I smiled. "And since Alya has been so busy lately, I haven't really had any time to hang out with my girlfriends."

Her face seem to fall after I said my statement. It confused me, but her face quickly changed back to it's usual expression

"Great. Girl time. I'll do my best to win so that we can hang out," she laughed.

But it seemed like a different sort of laugh; it sounded very forced. Before I could comment on her laugh or details of when we should hang, she walked away. I was left sitting alone with my thoughts. But before long, I felt another tap on my other shoulder. I turned around again to see Adrien.

"Hey, there," he waved.

I smiled back, "Hey! What's up?"

He sat down in the seat beside me and scooted in close.

"Oh, you know, just coming to fence," he replied. "What about you, stranger? Coming here to watch somebody?"

I knew he was joking, but I decided to play along with his little prank.

"Actually, yes," I began. "I'm here watching my friend Kagami and this boy I know named Adrien."

"I know Kagami, but I don't know about Adrien...he does sound familiar though. Could you describe him to me?" he asked.

I stifled my giggles. I had to genuinely think about what to say. I stared at the ground hoping that it would tell me what to say.

I took a deep breath before telling him, "Well, Adrien is probably the sweetest, most caring, funniest, and most handsome guy I know. I am so lucky to have him in my life."

I looked up from the ground to look at Adrien who was beet red in the face.

"Adrien, are you okay?" I asked concerned.

He simply nodded, and turned away to probably hide his blushing face. He took a few minutes to calm himself down, and turned to me once he was done.

"I-is that how you r-really f-feel. . .about me?" he asked timidly.

I nodded immediately. His face turned pink again.

He exclaimed, "I wanna make a bet with you."

"Sure. What kind of bet?" I questioned.

He took a deep breath before saying, "You have to go on a date with me if I win my match."

I didn't think I heard him right, so I asked, "What did you just say?"

"Go on a date with me if I win my match," he repeated.

I blushed furiously. He just asked me on a date? He wants to go on a date with me? Adrien Agreste wants to go out with me? I would've gone out with him even if he lost his match. Hell, I would've gone out with him if he lost every single fencing match he ever had!

"Marinette?" Adrien interrupted my thoughts.

"Yes—" I yelled, but quickly shut my mouth. "I mean, yes. As long as you win," I said calmly.

"Awesome," he fist pumped the air.

With that, he got up and walked down the stairs to go and warm up. I was almost positive that Adrien and Kagami would win their matches. They were the best of the best, but I still put in a prayer that Adrien would win.

(Lmao I had what I was going to do in the chapter at the beginning. I usually write something there to remind me what I'm going to write. That's a little awkward😅)

(Also realized that I didn't finish this chapter and still posted it. That's real awkward😓)