He's Not Bad, He's Just Broken

Nico's pov

I had been told to come back to camp to train my little sister after she had agreed to stay. To be fair, I wasn't too upset about it. In fact, I was glad that I was no longer all alone in the Hades cabin. I'd missed not getting to fight monsters everyday - I had to admit that it was entertaining when the world was going to end - and my sister made good company. She had strong shadow powers, but couldn't raise any souls, one or two at the most. I decided that we should go practice her sword fighting skills. But, as I turned around to suggest this, I noticed a shadow loom over Sylva.

"Sylva!" I shouted a warning, "Watch out behind you!"

Sylva whipped around and noticed the monster behind her. It was a hellhound. Then Sylva did something that surprised not only me, but also the dog.

"Bad boy!" She shouted at it, fire blazing in her dark eyes, "Sit!" The dog was confused and refused to sit at first so Sylva brought out her shadow whip, cracking it near the hound's ear. This made it flinch and sit down. "Good boy." She smiled and the hellhound's tongue lolled out of it's mouth. She marched up to the dog with such confidence that I started to believe that she had done this many times before, that or she was insane. The dog slightly snapped at her and she flicked her wrist again, this time with less fire in her eyes. The dog flinched less and collapsed on the ground at her feet in submission. Everybody's jaws hit the ground as she walked up and gave the dog a belly rub. I mean, we knew hellhounds were tamable because we already had one, but we never thought that a new demigod would be able to train one so quickly and without fear.

"Ho-how did you do that?" I was the first person to regain the ability to speak.

"Well, I had a Labrador called Oscar and I trained him using love." She began her explanation, "Love was what Oscar believed dominated all, the hellhound believed fear dominated all. So I had to make him fear me in order to show it who's the boss."

Her theory made sense. I gasped as I looked up at her head, which now had the symbol of Hades, his Helm of Darkness. Chiron seemed to appear out of nowhere to announce the already known home of the new demigod.

"It is decided" Chiron announced as everyone gets down on their knees, bowing to my sister.

"My father?" She asks.

"Hades. Death Bringer. Jewel Maker. King of the Underworld. Hail Sylva, Daughter of the Underworld God.

After everyone had stood back up and resumed their duties, Sylva's attention was once again turned to the hound at her side.

"I think I'll name him Oscar," She stated, "After my dog."

"And I think that Miss O'Leary is going to like her new playmate." I said with a small smile playing with my lips, my sister was one of the few people who could actually make me smile.

----------------------------------->>>