Chapter 2: "BEN"

'......What the actual...f..fuck...k...?' You think as you stare at the screen in complete bewilderment. The little chubby, pixelated character DID, in fact, look like you. You lean in close to inspect it...and sure enough, you can see that she's wearing the same clothes as you right now: (F/C) baggy tshirt, (F/C) pj pants, and the necklace your older brother gave to you before he died. 'Holy shit look.--she even has the same hairstyle as me...' You realize. ......This is UBER creepy. This is not normal. And now, you don't really believe that Mom and Dad left this out as a prank....did they?
Chills and shivers start to run throughout your whole body, creating goosebumps on your arms, legs, and back. You sit back down again to stare at the screen, and then, after one more pause, you finally start the game.
This game kind of played like a Super Mario Bros. side scroller game. The noises seemed a bit off as you jump and bounce over logs and holes, the game making a loud out-of-tune BOING every time you did so. A few minutes went by, and you started to calm down a tiny bit...well, ok, not completely. You were still scared.
As you had figured out from a young age, video games had this strange effect on you. It was like your outlet; every time your hands would start to click those buttons, your whole self would start to settle. It calmed you down, it let your mind wander. Sometimes, while studying for a test, you would take frequent breaks to play a few levels of Packman to help you remember important information.
But this...? This was a really weird feeling. Your body itself was starting to relax, but on the inside, you were still scared as all hell because of the things that had just happened. You didn't really know what to feel.
Soon, your little character came to a large hole, and you clicked buttons to make your character jump over it. Unfortunately, she fell into the abyss, and you had to start over the level. But the same exact thing happened again and again and again, until you growled in frustration, tossing the controller onto the ground. You bend your head back and covered your face with your hands.
"UUGGGGGHHH! This isn't going anywhere!" You take your hands off of your face and stare at the screen. The level had restarted, but the level itself looked...very...different. The sky was darker, the trees seemed to sway as if the wind in the game was blowing. The grass was darker, and your little character was crying...the game screen glitches slightly, and your eyes widen, taking in the whole scene..hesitantly, you reached over and gingerly grabbed the game controller..and you started playing again.
You took your character through the same course, the same jumps and leaps, until you finally arrive at the hole you couldn't jump over. The hole now was filled to the brim with water...and the sky in the game darkens to a deep purple. Your character trotted over, and stopped right in front if the hole. You clicked on the controller to jump into the water, but the little-you didn't move. She just sat there, staring at the water, motionless.
Suddenly, without any warning, a little head of a person pops out of the water. It was the little evil Link guy, but you can only see his eyes and his head. His mouth and nose (and his whole body) is completely submerged in water. His evil little eyes look up at the little-you as she just stands there, crying. Suddenly, Link quickly jumps out of the water with a SPLOOSH, and grabs her ankles. Your character screamed. It was a loud, glass shattering scream, that sounded exactly like your own. You realized this because you were screaming right along with her.
You throw your controller down in a panic and stare as the screen glitches and flashes. A face of the Link character flashed onto the screen; he was smiling the most creepiest smile you have EVER seen in your LIFE. His eyes were not red anymore. They were only deep, dark eye sockets, that were bleeding dark goopy blood that flooded onto his cheeks. A evil laugh projects over the sounds of the screaming. It sounded like a baby elf laughing along with a demon in sync. After a moment, the screen flashes with static, and you can only stare in choking silence as the controller starts moving ITSELF. The joystick moves, making the curser on the menu screen go from 'PLAY' to 'BEN'.
You don't know how this was happening, or why, but this was absolutely insane. Time and space seems to slow to a halt as your wide, teary eyes watch the controller independently click it's own button. And with this, all Hell was set loose.
The screen flashes once more, static invading the screen. It was bright, almost blinding, as the little dots on the screen moved against each other in a fighting way. Terror clung onto your poor beating heart as a water soaked hand slowly reaches out from the screen towards you. Water from his hand and arm now drip onto the floor, and along with this, comes the full bodied culprit of all of this horror.
A boy, a teenage boy, lanky and wet, emerges from the depths of the video game and static.
It was the Link character from the game.
After staring up at this figure of fear, which was crawling agonizingly slowly towards you, your stomach starts to swallow itself. Tears streamed from your eyes now, down your face, onto your t-shirt and the rug of the floor. You whimpered like a baby as you saw his smile glint in the wavering static light. It was only when he had gotten his hand an inch away from your lips did you finally pass out. Your vision was enveloped in a curtain of darkness, a perfect closing to a show of nightmares.