Chapter 6: "His Name was Jack..."

Quick Key:
(F/D) = Favorite Drink

      Four hours passed as you two played video games and chatted.  It was now 7:45 in the evening, and your parents had already called and informed you that they wouldn't be home until late in the evening.  You both had become bored of Mario Bros 2, Pac-man and Donkey Kong, so you grabbed some snacks for the both of you and went to crash.  Cartoons played along the tv screen while you and Ben crunched on Potato chips and drank soda.
      You were laying on your back, propped to sit up with pillows, eating your salty potato chips.  Ben, however, was hovering above the bed, 'laying' on his back, watching the tv from an upside down angle. 
      You pop another potato chip into your mouth as 'Tom and Jerry' played on the tv screen.  "I didn't know you could eat human food." 
      Ben chuckles and grabs a chip for himself.  "Sweetheart, there's a LOT about me you don't know."  He crunches on the potato chip and smiles happily, savoring the salty and oily taste.  "Trust me."
      "Mm?  Like what?"  You eat another chip and then take a sip of your (F/D). 
      "Oh, like I was a living boy once."  He bends his neck a bit to pop it, feeling a bit tense.
      You look over at him in surprise.  "Really..??"
      "Yeah."  BEN sighs a small sigh, reminiscing about the good ol' days.  "I kinda miss it..."  He flips in the air to where he's on his stomach, his chin resting on his folded arms.  "I think I miss my mom most of all...she was always super nice and sweet..."
      Sympathy washes over you, and you look at the elf with a saddened expression.  "So...what happened...?  Did you..d-die..?"
      He didn't answer for a moment.  A few seconds go by before he responds.  "Yeah."
      Taken aback, you stop mid-chew and look at him.  You weren't expecting him to be dead.  This kind of changed your whole aspect on things.
      You swallow your food.  "So what does that make you?  A demon, a ghost, a-"
      "Nuh-uh girlie, now it's MY turn to ask a question."  He flips over again to be on his back, his hands behind his head as he sits up and looks at you.  "I've noticed that weird necklace you've been wearing since we met last night.  Seems very special to you, right?"
      You stare in shock.  You never talked about your necklace: a chain with a single metal lugnut on it.  The nut was from an old worn down motorcycle; it had old dried blue paint splattered onto it.  Without thinking about it, you lift your hand to hold onto the piece of metal gently.  And you look down, lowering your voice to almost a mumble.  "I uh...my brother gave it to me..before he..died..." 
      BEN's smile disappeared.  "He died..? ..How did that happen?  Who was he?"
A few seconds go by before you take a breath and answer, "....His name was Jack..." Another few seconds go by.. "....He was about 23 when he went missing...he's been assumed dead..."
BEN lifts an eyebrow. "Soooo...is he really dead then?"
You shake your head, feeling like a scared little kid again. "I don't know...all I know is that he was off at college studying to be a..I think some sort of lawyer or something. But about halfway into the semester, he just...vanished..if he IS dead, they couldn't find a body..."
BEN was now listening intently, curious and intrigued. "..He just vanished?"
For some reason, this sparks annoyance within your stomach, and you glare at him. "Yes BEN, he fucking vanished.--" Stopping yourself, you sink down into your pillows and look down at the lugnut in your hands. "I'm so sorry..I didn't mean to get so defensive.."
The elf boy seemed to be ok with the sudden outburst, knowing how it feels to lose something very important and special to you. "Hey hey, it's ok. Alright? Don't worry about it." He looks down, thinking to himself before looking back up at you. "....Maybe you could talk about him? Tell me some memories? It might make you feel better."
      This makes you think for a moment. Without you even trying, a funny memory pops into your head. "He uh...when I was 9...he was 14...." you smile while watching the scene play out in your head. "...he stole a can of shaving cream from our dad's medicine cabinet, so we could make ourselves foam beards and mustaches." You giggle at the memory.
      BEN smiles and chuckles to himself, envisioning it. "Yeah?" 
      Another giggle arises from your throat. "Yeah..and there was another time where he.." you trail off, and hug your arms again, your smile disappearing. "...sorry I...I know this stuff can be boring..."
      BEN raises an eyebrow. "What? I didn't say anything. Go on."
      "But--"
      "Go on. Hit me. Tell me whatever story you like. I've got forever and a day to kill." He smirks, and you chuckle at the last remark.
      "Ok ok..." smiling, you continue with your story, right up until your parents get home. Waving, he smiles and glitches into thin air, back into the game.