"hello"

After long periods apart, these can include A picking up B and spinning them around. Fingers pressing into cheeks, palms cupping necks, and breathless laughs when they finally come up for air.

"Alfred, you fucking dickhead."

The cane clutched in Alfie's right hand clattered to the ground as you threw yourself at him, his back hitting the door he had just walked in through with a small grunt, his hands coming up to hold your body against his, fingers clutching at the fabric of your dress, rocking you back and forth as you inhaled and exhaled heavily into his shoulder, trying your hardest not to burst into tears.

"Look at me, right, back home, all in one piece," Alfie hushed you as a dry sob left your throat, your trembling hands fisting tightly into his coat, crushing yourself against him as hard as you could. "Sciatica's flared up again, but other than that, it's a bloody miracle I'm here, innit?"

You knew he was joking, but you couldn't help the dull ache of fear in your chest as you processed his words.

"Three fucking weeks, Aflie," you muttered, pulling back so you could glare at him, eyes glassy as they swam with tears. "No calls, no letters, no nothing. Three. Weeks."

Alfie rolled his lips between his teeth, hesitating as he leaned down to press kisses to your cheeks, beard scratching comfortingly against your skin. You didn't want to give in, no matter how overpowering the temptation was. But Alfie Solomons was a difficult man to resist.

With a small whimper, you turned your head to the side to unexpectedly meet his lips, the gentle press comforting you immediately. Your arms wound around his neck, hands tugging at the close-cropped hair at the back of his neck, deepening the small kiss.

Alfie emitted a small noise of longing, deep in the back of his throat as his hands dragged themselves down to your hips, feeling the tight-gripped calloused fingers through the thin silk slip you were wearing. You never wanted to pull apart, but the need to breathe was becoming much more prevalent with every passing second. Alfie pulled away with a small, breathless chuckle, his forehead resting against yours. Realizing that you had him back now, and he wasn't going anywhere for a while, you felt a smile forming on your lips, a small laugh making it's way up your throat.

You leaned up for another peck, one which Alfie granted you without hesitation, his hand leaving your hip to cup around your neck, warming your skin up immediately.

"Didn't know I was that irresistible," he said, clearing his throat while his eyes twinkled with exhaustion and relief. "I am sorry about that, pet, really. But if you do have any grievances, right, you're more than welcome to take them up with Mr. Tommy Shelby, who's engorged ego and twisted sense of self-confidence is the reasoning behind our extended departure."

"That scoundrel," you grumbled, tugging him down for another kiss, your fingers tapping against his cheek. "I'll have words with him if that's what'll keep you home."

Alfie bent down for his cane, straightening up with a small grunt. "Trust me, sweets," he sighed, removing his hat and coat. "If there's anybody in the world who can convince Tommy fucking Shelby to stop biting off more than he can chew, they've probably long died by now."