"i'll be right back"

A puts their hands on B's shoulders from behind them, where they are sat on the couch. She leans down and around, while B turns his head a little, accepting the quick peck.

"Give her here, love."

Your closed eyes peeled open to peer up at Alfie, who was hovering above the couch you were curled up on, your newborn baby daughter coddled to your chest. Baby Polly had finally fallen asleep after a restless night, and you were so close to following.

"Mmf," you mumbled, your breath stirring the soft tufts of black hair at the top of little Polly's head. "I'm okay, swear it."

Alfie rolled his eyes before straightening up, making his way around the sofa and taking a seat on the strip of cushion near your hip. He held out his arms, and you handed your daughter over, her small body tucking perfectly into Alfie's make-shift cradle.

You both watched with baited breaths as she stirred, lips parting in an adorable little yawn, small fingers unfurling and curling back into Alfie's beard, gripping fast. Her head nodded against his bicep, cheek smushed against the muscle. After a moment, her body relaxed, succumbing to another deep sleep.

"Right," Alfie whispered, carefully rocking Polly as he stood up. "You, get to bed. You've barely slept since the baby was born, and you look ready to collapse."

"What if she gets hungry?" You whispered back anxiously, standing up as well. "Or if she starts fussing?"

Alfie sighed. "If she gets hungry, I'll wake you," he promised, his finger stroking through the black hair on Polly's head. "In any other case, I think I'm equipped enough to deal with it."

You and Alfie held each other's eyes for a long moment before you finally nodded, taking a step back as Alfie carefully settled back into the couch cushions.

"Go on," Alfie said, laying back. "Nap. Dinner will be ready when you wake up."

You bit your lip, still a little hesitant, but you nodded anyways. "Okay," you whispered, leaning down to kiss Alfie, your lips pressing innocently against his for a short moment. "I'll be right back, promise. Help you out with dinner."

"Shut up and go to bed."

"Alright, Alfie."

And then you were gone, and Alfie grinned in triumph. His triumphant look quickly turned sour as he inhaled deeply, accusing eyes turning down towards his daughter.

"Oh, now that is foul."