"morning"

Barely awake kisses that usually end up on jaws or cheeks because A is too tired to land it properly. B makes a sleepy sound and rolls into A, nuzzling their face into their neck, ankles hooking together, while A drapes their arms around B and they fall back asleep for a while.

Today was just one of those days.

For the past week, Alfie had been entirely preoccupied with work. He came home once you were fast asleep in bed, and was off to work long before you woke up. On the few days you would wait up for him, he was exhausted, and could barely keep his eyes open long enough to have a coherent conversation with you.

But today was different. When you woke up in the morning, you rolled over freely, preparing for the cold shock of empty sheets and not expecting to be met with any solid resistance. There was a small groan of protest as you rolled over, accidentally elbowing the figure next to you in the ribs. For a frightful moment, you were scared and confused, until you realized that, on occasion, you shared this bed.

"Alfie?" you asked groggily, not expecting to see your husband laying down next to you, bleary eyes blinking up at you as you pushed yourself up, hovering over him slightly. "What time is it?"

Alfie grumbled something under his breath, his warm hand capturing yours and tugging you down, pulling you close and resting his cheek on your chest. Your hand came up to run through his hair in the way you knew he liked, the small noise of appreciation enough to keep you going.

"Late in the morning," he responded quietly, rubbing his scratchy cheek against your skin. "I think. I got up for a piss about an hour ago and the sun was already up."

You were confused, but decided not to question it just yet, enjoying his presence a little longer. Alfie was nearly asleep again when you cleared your throat, asking for his attention.

"No work today, then?"

Alfie made a soft noise that highly resembled a chuckle, shifting himself closer to you, his hand splayed across your stomach.

"No, no work for me today, dove," he murmured, turning to prop himself up on his elbow, looking down at you as you snuggled closer to him, resting your head on his bicep. "Did everything last night, I did. I forgot how nice it was to wake up with you in the mornings."

"Alife," you mumbled, snaking a hand to the back of his neck and pulling him towards you, lips connecting gently. "I missed you."

Aflie sighed into the kiss as he adjusted himself without breaking the hold you had on him, your legs parting as he nestled himself against your hips, his hand pressed into the bedding next to your head, keeping his weight above you. You instinctively wrapped your legs around his waist, arching up so that you were pressed into him.

The kisses turned into something gentle, conveying all the emotion that Alfie left unspoken. It went from heated and passionate to silly and loving in mere seconds, turning into breathless laughing and small pecks, smiling into the kisses.

It had been so long since Alfie had held you deep into the mornings, and he'd be damned if he didn't make the most out of it.

But when Alfie's mouth moved down your neck, a loud bark interrupted him. Pulling away, he cursed.

"Cyril needs to pee," you informed him matter-of-factly, reaching up to place a kiss on his nose. "and if he does so on my carpet, I will be very upset."

Alfie sighed, leaning down to rest his face in the warmth of your neck for a moment before he pulled back and rolled off of you, groaning as his back protested the movement. You went to press a kiss to his shoulder before settling back into your pillows, wanting to bask in the comfort for a moment longer.

Alfie turned to look at you. "You're so spoilt."

"You're one to talk," you huffed back, unable to keep the smile from forming on your face. "Hurry back, please. If you're not planning on going to work, I'm not planning on getting out of bed."

Alfie stayed seated, his lower lip jutting out slightly as he pondered something. "Can I get a kiss first, at least?"

With a deep breath, you sat up to quickly peck his lips before flopping back down.

"Now go. The sooner you get back the warmer I'll be."