5. The vault

The days flew by. Loki helped me repair my ship and at night we would spend our time in the library.

Loki and I were working on the ship when another one appeared in the sky. Now I was scared. And my first instinct was to check my radar, to see if it was the Nova Corps. I jumped inside the ship and turned on the radar. It wasn't them. 

I sat down in my chair and sighed, I couldn't just freak out with every ship I saw, people would catch on. And of course Loki had already noticed. 

He climbed inside as well and asked " What just happened?" 

I rubbed my face and stood up, starting to tidy the inside of the ship. " Nothing." I told him. But if I had learned anything about him, it's that he wasn't easily fooled. 

" Lady Quill. Are you hiding from someone?" he asked curious. 

" I may or may not be hiding from the Nova Corps who want to arrest me." I tried to go over it casually while putting away the weapons that had fallen out of their closet. 

" What did you do?" he asked concerned. 

" I stole some guy's ancient gems." I admitted. 

" Why would you do that?" he asked confused. 

" Cause it was my job." I told him turning off the radar. 

" Your job?" He asked confused. 

I sighed " Look I'm not proud of it, I didn't want to steal them, I had to." 

" And what is your job exactly?" he asked me. 

" I'm a Ravager. I mean, I was. I was a Ravager." He wouldn't arrest me, would he? What if they arrested me and handed me to the Nova Corps? 

" And why are you not proud of your job?" he asked. I wasn't sure if he understood what my job was. 

" All my life I've been nothing more than a criminal." I explained " Stealing from honest people and selling it to the corrupt. I never wanted to be one, but I had to. They had no other reason to keep me and my brother alive." It was true. The only reason Yondu hadn't let them eat us when we were kids was becasue we were useful to them.

" How did you end up with them?" he asked. 

 " They abducted us, right after our mother died. I still don't know why though, they wouldn't tell us." He looked at me, I didn't look back, he had no reason to not tell his father. And when he did, they would ban me from their beautiful planet. 

I cleaned of the panel with a cloth and ignored Loki's gaze. " So you're a fugitive?" he then asked. 

" Yes." I told him, now looking at him. 

" Well that's..." here we go, " impressive." he said, impressed. Wait, what? 

His reaction made me smile " Thought you were gonna hand me over there." 

He laughed " Of course not, we don't even know this Nova Corps, so I doubt they'll ever find their way to the nine realms." 

" Let's hope so." I told him.

That evening we had dinner with the King and Queen. Normally we would eat with Sif, Thor and the Warriors three, but not that day. Thor, Loki and I sat down at the big table. Frigga and Odin were already sitting. 

" Good evening." I said to both, they smiled. Frigga more warmly than Odin, as always. 

While we were eating Thor had to know " Why did you ask for us to eat together?" he asked his father. 

He looked up, " It's your mother's idea." he told him. 

" I was wondering how your ship is getting along." Frigga said, looking at me. 

I finished my bite and said " Really good actually, Loki's a great help." Loki looked up from his food and gave me a smile. 

" I thought you didn't like mechanics." Thor asked Loki. He didn't?

" Well, it's not really mechanics," Loki explained to his brother " I'm just a helping hand." 

" And a very good one." I complimented him. 

" Thank you." he said looking at me. 

After some silent eating Frigga spoke again " After dinner, maybe you could show Lily the vault." she told her sons. They both looked up, 

" Sure." Thor smiled.

After dinner I followed the two of them to the center of the palace. Two guards were defending the gate. They stepped aside so we could enter. 

" This is Odin't vault." Thor said. I looked around, there were all kinds of relics and weapons. If Yondu had been there, he would have told me to steal all of it. But he wasn't, and entering the room I didn't have to look for an escape route like I was used to. I did have to stop my urge to practise my slight of hand though. 

" This is the Casket of Ancient Winters." Thor started, standing in front of a blue glowing casket. " It was in the possession of the Jotuns, until the Asgardians wrested it from them during the battle in 965 A.D." 

It was beautiful. The next artifact was a flame " The eternal flame " Loki said. " A mystical flame that cannot be extinguished. It was stolen from Surtur by Odin, Vili, and Ve Borson at the dawn of time so that Surtur could not light his sword and bring about Ragnarok." 

I looked at it, all these artifacts were ancient. " Warlock's Eye " Thor smiled " A powerful, mystical weapon used unsuccessfully against Odin, the Warriors Three and I during an invasion against Asgard." He seemed really proud of it. 

" Impressive." I told him. 

" The infinity gauntlet." Loki said when we were standing in front of a big golden gauntlet. There were six gems in it. " We don't actually know what it's for." Loki added. 

Many more artifacts were shown to me, all  with an impressive story to go with them.

When we were in the library that night Loki asked " Care to hand me the little box you've taken?" I looked up from my book, how did he know that? While Thor had been talking I had grabbed one behind his back. 

I pulled it out of my jacket and put it on the table. " Did you see me take it?" I asked him while he put it away. 

" No, I just noticed it was gone." he said. Good, I never got caught with my hand in the cookie jar. " You don't happen to know where my dagger is, do you?" he then asked. I got it out of my boot and gave it back to him, a proud smiled on my lips. " Remarkable." he said taking it from me. 

" You should be more careful with your stuff Loki," I told him " Even a child could've taken it." He rolled his eyes and smiled. He had a beautiful smile, I had noticed it before, but now it stood out even more. It wasn't anything like Yondu's smile, which was crooked and dirty. It also wasn't like Peter's smile, which was funny. It was like the smile Frigga had given me, warm and charismatic. It made me feel comfortable, warm, at ease.