Trapped

Chapter 13

**Kaiden**

I nervously gnaw my lips as I watch the unconscious body on the bed. I clench my trembling fingers and close my eyes. It was my fault.

I should have noticed something was wrong. I should have trusted my instinct. Of course, there is no way someone like the infamous Alpha Hunter wouldn't notify the pack before coming. The moment I felt Mora's distressed, I should have broken down the door. I should have noticed.

I SHOULD HAVE- My gasps became shorter, and I bring my knees into my chest, holding them for dear life. I'm the next Alpha in line. I shouldn't have been careless.

A silent sob wreck through my body threatening to destroy my control. I cover my mouth trying not to disturb Mora. A mental signal sounds in my head and a knock sounds at the door.

I force myself to slow down the rate of my breathing and release my feet back to the ground. "Come in!" I whisper trying to contain myself. Mental breakdown where?

 I fight the urge to take in her comforting scent and bawl and scream in front of my mother. I swallow it in and all that remains was my blank face.

My mom walks nervously and wraps her arms around me. "A man shouldn't cry so easily. "

I clear my throat and nod. She brushes my hair off my forehead face stands off to the bedside. She checks the IV and the monitor until she was satisfied.

We stand in a comfortable silence until my mom cleared her throat. "We need to talk. Follow me."

"I can't leave Mora." I whisper urgently, not when she's vulnerable.

She stares at me, shocked that I didn't listen to her as always. She frowns and calls. "Maxwell."

A man materializes next to me, and I struggle to hide my shock. It was the warlock who helped Eros yesterday. I try to shake off my fear. The scary part was, even with my alpha heightened senses, I didn't detect him until he wanted me to. I move closer to Mora protecting her from an invisible threat.

Maxwell mumbles a spell and a barrier appears around the bed. I look at it uneasily.

"Nothing can get in or get out." I look at him with distrust. "Fine. I'll add a calming spell." I look back at Mora and follow my mom to my dad's office. We walk to see my dad leaning his desk restlessly. My mom slides into his chair while Maxwell hovers near the door.

My mom clears and throat said something to my dad through their bonds.

My dad turns his gaze to me and I ignore the Alpha's power. I was too weary, too tired, and too distrustful to care. "We put an inhibition spell on Mora."

I felt my eyelid twitch as I struggle to understand his words. My mom slaps my dad's back and he winces.

"What your dad means to say-"

I blink. "Please tell me you did not put an inhibition spell on Mora's wolf."

"We did it for her own good. " My mom saw my accusing eyes and raises an eyebrow. "After Zamora attacked an Elder, we had to get the pack's trust one way or another. And we did."

"By using a spell meant for hostile wolves and criminals? " My head begins to throb. 

"She imbalance the power dynamics in the pack. She easily took down the beta and his daughter. She was a threat." my mom said scrambling for answers, but I couldn't help but take it personally.

It was something that I worked hard to avoid. Being labeled a threat. But who knew how it is?

"It was self-defense." These quiet words hang in the air as my parents that I wasn't taking their side. "They challenged her and she did what any wolf would do. She defended herself. They were just a bunch of cowards who were trying to bully my mate. They only do so because she's different. They fear her because she is more powerful than us." I protest angrily and all the words I kept to myself spewed out.