Part 1

The air in the garage was thick with the smell of gasoline and the sound of chugging engines. Latin music blared from a radio on the oil-stained worktop. I cranked up the volume, obnoxiously singing along. It was one of my favourite songs.

"Lance, do you have to have it so loud?" Hunk shouted from beneath the car we were working on. I hadn't been paying much attention when Chief had told us what to do; I was too distracted by Allura. Sure, she was our manager, but she was fine.

"Si, mi amigo!" I shouted back, dancing my way towards the car.

Hunk slid out from under the car, oil smeared across his cheeks. Somehow, though, he'd managed to keep his signature orange headband clean.

"Can you at least help me, dude? Coran is gonna be pissed if he comes back and this isn't done."

"Ugh...fine." I groaned, shrugging off my work shirt and tying it around my waist. I adjusted my plain vest and scraped my hair back, then peered at what Hunk was working on.

"L A N C E!" Allura shouted from the office doorway.

I straightened. She only ever shouted when she was really pissed.

"Yes, mi amor?" I flirted. She always rejected me, but there was no harm in trying.

"Turn that shit down." She growled, then slammed the office door behind her.

"Yes ma'am." I sighed, turning the music down to a reasonable level. When I came back to the car, Hunk had come out from beneath and was wiping his hands clean, chuckling to himself.

"Yes ma'am." He echoed, a hint of laughter in his voice.

"Shut up, puta."

"Language." He warned, shaking a wrench at me. "Don't make me get Pidge involved."

I shuddered. Pidge worked the reception desk at the garage, but she also happened to be a talented hacker. She could wipe out someone's online accounts in a matter of seconds.

"My ears are burning." A teasing voice called from the waiting area. Pidge popped her head through the open window. "Who's talking about me?"

Hunk pointed at me.

"Lance called me a bitch."

"Wait, I-" I stammered, but Pidge cut me off.

"Lance," She began, crossing her arms. "If you call my precious cinnamon roll one more shitty name, I swear to whatever gods you pray to that I will end you."

"Yes ma'am." I mumbled.

Hunk snorted.

"Tell me if he does anything else, baby." Pidge winked, then disappeared back into the waiting area.

As Hunk broke out into thunderous laughter, I pulled my shirt back on and started towards the back door.

"I'm going to the café." I growled. "At least I don't get bullied there."

"But we need to work..." Hunk whined. "It was only a joke. Come on..."

"I'm taking my break." I shot back,then left the garage, slamming the back door shut behind me. I just needed some time to cool off - the cafe around the corner was a great place to take a breather. I loved our little family at the garage, but they had a habit of being...too much. 

Little did I know,when I returned to the garage, my life would change forever.