Horseplay

We were silently reading in our potions textbooks in class. Hardbroom said we were to study up for a potions test coming up. We went over everything we needed to go over. I was just reading, minding my own business. I heard Mildred next to me wince in pain. I looked at her, Ethel was behind her. I gave Ethel a mean look and continued reading. I swear if she teases her again, I'll just smack her. But, I heard her whisper to her friend who was behind me. As soon as I felt my braid being tugged, I jumped up and held my fist at her.

"Big mistake! You want me to give it to you!?"

"Hyacinth! Just because Miss. Cackle is your grandmother doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want here."

"You say that so many times I don't even give a care anymore," I said as I rolled my eyes.

I turned to Ethel.

"Next time you or your friends mess with me or my friends, I'll turn you into a stink bug that you are."

I sat down.

"Speak for yourself."

That prissy brat!

"Read now! Next time anybody talks will get sent to Miss. Cackles!" Miss. Hardbroom yelled.

We continued reading. I silently breathed slowly to calm myself down. Luckily the rest of class went smoothly until it was over. I walked out with Mildred and Maud.

"You two go ahead, I'll be with you in a minute."

Mildred nodded as they walked away. Ethel walked out of the classroom. Just then, I grabbed her and smacked her. That felt good!

"Why did you that for!?"

"You know darn-"

Miss. Hardbroom grabbed me by the ear. Guess it's to my grandma.

"I have just about have it with you and your attitude, I ought to get you expelled!"

"I hate it here anyways."

Miss. Hardbroom knocked on Grandma's office door.

"Yes?"

Still hanging on to my ear, Miss. Hardbroom and me walked in.

"I have had enough of your granddaughter, Miss. Cackle."

"What did she do now?"

"What she always does, bad mouth a teacher, threatening and harming other students. She should be punished, expelled maybe!"

"You may go Miss. Hardbroom. I'll deal with her."

Hardbroom left.

"Oh why do you have to do this Hyacinth?"

"Good to see you too Grandma."

"I'm serious!"

"Just hate it here."

"I know you hate it here, because you were forced by your mother and father-"

"Step mother!"

"Step mother. They said that you were always misbehaving back home, they said you need this. The last straw was a big fight with your 'step mother' and my son. You're here not just as my grandchild but as a student of my school."

"If I come home as a witch, I don't know what I'll do to them but it won't be pretty, I know that for a fact."

"You better not hurt your own family Hyacinth. You use your powers for good, not bad like your great aunt Agatha, no no."

"Why would I end up like your twin sister? I don't wanna look like Madonna in forty years."

I snorted, that was funny, I even saw grandma crack a smile.

"That was funny Grandma, admit it."

"That's not the subject here. Yes, you will be punished, you have been before but this is the last straw. You are going to attend the staff meeting with me in a few days, the day before Halloween, our biggest holiday."

"The meeting will be boring."

"It might to you but it's very important to me. The Grand Wizard himself will be there as well."

"The Grand Wizard? Isn't he at a higher rank than you?"

"That's right. I expect you to be on your best behavior and I hope you will learn from our meeting."

We stood in awkward silence for a few seconds.

"Well, you may go, join your classmates for lunch."

"Yes Grandma...uh...Miss. Cackle."

I left.