Chapter 4

Helena pushed aside the long fern fronds and stepped out of the jungle. "No one has approached from the west."

"Or the south or east," Fitzy said looking off into the distance.

"The north was clear too. Nothing around here either. So, whoever it is, they are very good at covering their tracks, or it was someone in the camp." Jake scrubbed his hair.

His frustration was understandable. Jake was an excellent tracker. If anyone had been around here, he'd have found evidence.

Fitzy rubbed the back of his neck. "What if it was the professor? Maybe he wanted to get hands on, and he could have planned to blame it on one of the villagers."

Helena cocked her head in agreement. From what she'd seen so far, the professor could and would come up with a plan like that. "The guy's a terrible liar, though. We'll know as soon as we tell him someone's touched the body if it was him."

"Good to know." Jake put his hands on his hips and frowned.

"Why didn't we bring the motion sensor cameras, Jake? They were invaluable on that trip when that jaguar kept snooping around." Helena pulled off a frond and began whipping the nearby plants with it.

"Transportation costs. The professor had so much other gear, the cameras got axed."

A snort sounded from Fitz. "I unpacked most of that gear. Dude had boxes of books. Hasn't he heard of digital copies?"

"Not everything has been transferred to digital, Fitzy. Books on ancient languages aren't exactly best sellers."

"Well, from now on we put the cameras as mandatory items on any contract." Helena slapped her fist into the other palm. "Of course! We can get them brought in with the transport on Tuesday."

"Until then, we'll take shifts guarding at night," said Jake. They automatically nodded agreement, because in or out of the military they'd follow Jake's orders. "Let's go tell the Doc."

Jake and Fitz turned towards camp. "Guys," Helena called, uncertainty heavy in her voice. "Have you noticed how quiet the jungle is?"

Both men nodded. Fitzy looked into the surrounding trees. "Yeah. Something has the animals spooked."

They turned again to the camp. She'd wait until Jake, and maybe the professor, saw the body again before mentioning the plumper skin. If she was just seeing things, she didn't want to taint the others perception with her notions.

She looked towards the open tomb door as they passed and gasped. The light had reflected momentarily off a pair of eyes. But it was no animal. They were at the height of a tall man. It was impossible.

"Jake!" she hissed. She crouched and crept toward the black mouth of the door in the hillside.

When the others came silently up behind her, she whispered. "Something moved in the shadows."

They flanked the doorway and peered in. Jake switched on his flashlight and shone it down the stairs.

They flicked on the floodlight which lit up the lower chamber. There was no noise of surprise, and no telltale shadow of a person below.

He signalled with his hand that he'd go first, Fitz to follow and Helena to wait above ground.

They all drew their weapons and got into position.

From her vantage point above ground, Helena stole glances into the stairwell as Jake and Fitz crept down silently and quickly, then burst into the room.