1.Engagement Announcement

His Majesty King Jonas III is delighted to announce the engagement of Crown Prince Maxwell to Lady Kitty Spencer.

6:00 AM - Jun 27, 2018

Crown Prince Maxwell and Lady Kitty Spencer make first appearance after engagement announcement

London (CNN) Merania's Crown Prince Maxwell and the British model Lady Kitty Spencer have described their joy at the prospect of getting married, hours after their engagement was announced on Monday.

In a brief appearance in the Halo Garden at Pennington Palace, Maxwell told reporters he knew Spencer was "the one" from "the very first time we met."

The prince declined to elaborate on his proposal to Kitty, but when asked whether it was romantic, he smiled and said, "of course it was."

Kitty said she was "so very happy" and flashed her engagement ring to reporters.

The ring, designed by Maxwell, has a silver band with tiny diamonds around and features a large diamond according to a statement from Pennington Palace.

The pair, who became engaged quietly earlier this month, will marry in Autumn 2018.

Kitty will be the first British aristocrat to marry a Merianan royal.

Monday's announcement was made by Maxwell's father, King Jonas, in a statement released from his office at Pennington House.

"Crown Prince Maxwell has also sought and received the blessing of Ms. Spencer's parents," the statement added.

The couple went before photographers on Monday afternoon before taking part in a broadcast interview which will air in the evening.

The palace did not say what titles would be conferred upon the couple when they are married, but Kitty Spencer, will become Crown Princess Kitty of Merania.

Shortly after the announcement, Kitty's parents released a statement.

"We are incredibly happy for Kitty and Maxwell. Our daughter has always been a kind and loving person. To see her union with Maxwell, who shares the same qualities, is a source of great joy for us as parents. We wish them a lifetime of happiness and are very excited for their future together," the statement ended.

Maxwell's Godbrother and Kitty's cousin, Harry and his wife, Meghan, who reside at Kensington Palace, shared their joy at the impending union on Monday.

"We are very excited for Maxwell and Kitty. It's such a special time for them and we are happy to witness how happy Kitty and Maxwell are together." they said in a statement.

Monday's announcement ends persistent speculation over when the 30-year-old prince -- who is first line to the throne -- would propose to the model.

Maxwell and his fiancée made their first public appearance as a couple at the royal ascot.

The pair were introduced by mutual friends in London, Kitty Spencer confirmed in September. Spencer is a well known model as well as her philanthropic work.

Kitty Spencer spoke of her royal relationship for the first time earlier this year telling Vogue: "We're two people who are really happy and in love."