Duchess Of York | Chapter One

Chapter One | Wedding of Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Angelina Jolie

The wedding of Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Angelina Jolie took place on 24 May 2019 at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle in the United Kingdom. The groom, Prince Andrew, The Duke of York, is a member of the British royal family. The bride, Jack Brooksbank, is an American actress, filmmaker, and humanitarian. The recipient of such accolades as an Academy Award and three Golden Globe Awards, she has been named Hollywood's highest-paid actress multiple times. The Dean of Windsor, David Conner, officiated at the wedding using the standard Anglican church service for Holy Matrimony published in Common Worship, the liturgical text of the Church of England.

Wedding of Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Angelina Jolie
Date
24 May 2019
Venue
St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle
Location
Windsor, Berkshire, England
Participants
Prince Andrew, Duke of York
Angelina Jolie

The Duke of York announced shortly after the engagement announcement that the wedding would be held on Friday, 24 May 2019. Angelina like step-daughter, Eugenie, who is a supporter of charities that battle plastic pollution, stated that she was organizing a plastic-free wedding ceremony. The couple reportedly hired Peregrine Armstrong-Jones, founder of Bentley's Entertainment and half-brother of Princess Margaret's husband, the Earl of Snowdon, to plan the wedding parties. Rob Van Helden designed an autumnal floral theme for the ceremony using roses, lilies and berries from Windsor Great Park. The Duke of York later described the event as a family wedding, rather than a public one.

Following the engagement announcement, it was subsequently announced that the wedding would take place in spring 2019 at St George's Chapel, Windsor, a year after the wedding of his nephew, Prince Harry, and nine months after the wedding of his daughter, Princess Eugenie making it the third royal wedding at the chapel in two year. The venue was previously the site for the weddings of his brother the Earl of Wessex and nephew Peter Phillips, as well as the blessing for the second marriage of his brother the Prince of Wales. The Duke of York later revealed that it was the Queen who suggested St George's Chapel to be used as the venue for the ceremony.

The wedding invitations specified a dress code for men of "dress, morning coat" and for women, "day dress and hat".

The bride wore a long-sleeved ivory gown with a flowing full length train designed by Luigi Massi, Atelier Versace master tailor.

The bride also wore a pair of diamond earrings, gifted to her by The Prince of Wales. The Queen lent her daughter in law the Strathmore Rose Tiara. Sometimes called 'Queen Elizabeth's Strathmore Tiara,' this was given to Lady Elizabeth by her father before her marriage to King George VI. The tiara takes its name from the Queen Mother's family — she was born Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, daughter of the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne. When she married the Duke of York in 1923, she wasn't yet destined to be queen, but her parents decided a new duchess needed a new tiara regardless. They gave her this floral piece, which was bought from Catchpole and Williams, a dealer based in London. In The Queen's Diamonds, Hugh Roberts notes that although the piece was purchased in the 1920s, it was made in England in the late nineteenth century. He also reveals that the flowers, which can be removed and worn as brooches, could originally be swapped-out for five collet-set sapphires.

For the customary bridal themes of "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue", Angelina had her diamond drop earrings (the "new"), the Queen's tiara (the "borrowed"), and a handful of "blue thistle flowers" in her bouquet (the "blue").

Prince Andrew was dressed in a ceremonial attire of a naval lieutenant.

By marriage, Angelina became Her Royal Highness The Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh, also attaining the rank of Princess of the United Kingdom.