Dive Right In

Based on episode 345

"(Y/N)!" Conan shouted at you from across the street.

"I'm not telling you anything, so stop asking." You groaned as you turned to look at the boy. The second your eyes landed on him, you felt as though someone was crushing the air from your chest.

He was waving at you, a smile on his face, but behind him a figure shrouded in darkness prowled ever closer, a grotesque scar across his eye. Panic filled you. You went to run across the road, but there was no opening in the speeding traffic. "Judo!" You screamed, praying he'd hear you over the cars. "Behind you!" He didn't respond.

Throwing caution to the wind, you charged forward. Horns blared, and cars swerved, but you kept going. Pushing ahead in a desperate attempt to get to the boy. A truck slammed on its breaks, before swerving around you like the other vehicles. For a split second your sight was blocked, and in that split second he was gone.

"No...nonono..." You whispered under your breath, the panic suffocating you. "Conan!" You shouted when you made it to the other side of the road. "Conan, where are you!" You howled in desperation. You ran down the sidewalk scanning every alley and road you passed. Then you spotted it. A single white rose dripping with crimson.

----------------------------------

You shot awake, your breathing ragged and heart pounding. You could do nothing to stop the tremor that rattled you from your core. You glanced around the room, struggling to slow your breathing. There was nothing to calm the overwhelming panic that corrupted your very soul. After all, you were alone. Conan had asked Ran if the two of you could stay at Dr. Agasa's to take care of Haibara, however things hadn't gone to plan. She'd told Conan that he could, but you could not. You'd tried to protest, but she'd insisted that you didn't need to be around someone sick with your compromised immune system. You'd seen the spot Conan was in, so you told him it was fine. After all, he needed to keep an eye on Haibara and find the bugs you'd told him were most likely present. However, you'd regretted that decision ever since. He'd been staying there for the past few days, and you'd barely slept.

You untangled yourself from your new bedding, and looked at the clock on your phone. 2:32 AM. You'd only managed to sleep for twenty minutes. Rubbing your dry eyes, you hobbled to the bathroom, and splashed some cold water on your face. When you looked up into the mirror, you weren't surprised. You were pale, and had dark bags underneath your eyes. The end result of lacking sleep and a failure to eat properly.

You glanced down at your phone again. You wanted nothing more than to call him to see if he was alright, but you knew he'd be either furious or worried that you weren't sleeping. Letting out a frustrated sigh, you headed into the living room, and sat cross-legged on the floor. You flipped through a stack of papers you'd been given a few days prior. You scratched a few notes here and there, trying to keep your mind distracted.

"I hate this class." You muttered under your breath, as you scribbled another note. The stack of papers was, in fact, all of the homework and assignments that had been assigned to your class for the past week. You'd been lying to Judo since the very beginning about one thing in particular. You'd told him that Granny would tell the school you passed away. In reality, she told them you were terribly ill. They gave her all the assignments you'd missed at the end of every week, and you sent them back to the old woman a week later. Sure, it wasn't the safest idea, but you didn't want to be held back if you got back to normal. The thought of being held back a year while Judo moved on bothered you, so you kept doing homework in secret. On the off chance he was held back, you'd just flunk your finals and fail.

You kept answering questions and writing notes for hours, the trivial homework managing to distract your distraught mind. When you were finished with the tedious work, you checked the clock again. 7:51 AM. That's an acceptable time, right? You rubbed your stiff neck, and pulled up his name on your contacts. No... I should wait a little longer. He'll harass me to see if I slept if I call him now. You thought with a defeated sigh. You were about to put your phone back down, when another name caught your attention. A smirk pulled up the corners of your lips, as you selected the contact, and pushed call.