Ungrateful

Magnus' eyes widened when he opened the door and saw Simon standing there.

"I️ wasn't expecting you quite so early," Magnus remarked as Simon entered the loft.

"Any progress?" Simon asked as he walked toward Raphael.

Magnus sighed, trying to figure out exactly what to do next.

"Now isn't exactly the best time," he said slowly, as if calculating each word as to not give away too much information in hopes that Simon would take the hint and leave.

"Why, what's going on?" Simon asked.

Seeing that getting rid of Simon was going to be more difficult than he had anticipated, he shut the door behind him and walked closer to Simon.

"There are just a couple of things that need to be taken care of," Magnus responded.

Simon gave the warlock a puzzled a look.

"What kind of things?" he pried.

Almost as if on cue, there was a knock at the door. Magnus sighed as he turned around to get the door. When he answered the door, he attempted to not look tired, painting on an artificial smile.

"Thank you for coming. Please, come in," he said.

When the warlock stepped aside, a short, bald man adorned with a black robe and cross around his neck entered the loft.

Simon raised an eyebrow and looked the man up and down before looking back at Magnus.

"Who the hell is he?" Simon asked defensively, gesturing toward the man.

Both the warlock and the mundane had shocked expressions as a result of Simon's question.

"First of all, he's a priest, so watch your language," Magnus warned. He then turned the priest.

"Brother Ezekiel, why don't you get started while I️ speak with this gentleman in private," Magnus said politely before glaring at Simon and gesturing toward the kitchen.

The priest simply nodded and with that the warlock and the vampire both proceeded to the kitchen.

"What is he doing here?" Simon asked, gesturing toward the door.

Magnus sighed. He gestured for Simon to have a seat and he complied. He then took a seat himself and rubbed his tired eyes.

"Brother Ezekiel is here to perform the last rites for Raphael," Magnus confessed.

At this news, Simon's eyes widened and he began to shake his head.

"I️ don't understand. Isn't that like for people who are dying?" Simon asked, but it sounded more like an accusation than a question as he spat out the words along with the bitter taste on his tongue.

Magnus broke eye contact and looked down at the table before nodding. He heard the audibly vampire gasp. He then looked back up.

"I️ wasn't quite sure how to break the news to you, but it does seem like we may have to prepare for the worst," Magnus said, choking up.

Despite no longer having a heartbeat or a need to breathe, Simon still could feel a familiar tightening in his chest with a lump in his throat accompanying it. He flexed and relaxed his fingers a few times while focusing on his breathing, attempting to remain calm. Still, all he could manage to say was the word "no", but it was a word with a multitude of implications backing it.