―aylward.

𝓗e hadn't realized how much he missed Highgarden until Renly's party had passed through the gates. They'd been in King's Landing far too long. The colors and the smells and flowers brought back memories of better days. Aylward Caswell had spent more time here than he ever had at Bitterbridge, or perhaps it only felt that way. At the least, he'd made better memories in Highgarden than he ever had in his father's home.

          This wedding feast ought to have been one of them. It was extravagant in a way only the Tyrells could be, with guests from every house small and large from the Arbor to Shipbreaker's Bay. But Renly had been too busy fielding congratulations on his marriage, and shouting his own praises to anyone who would listen, to pay much mind to anyone but himself.

          The other knights in Renly's personal guard were dancing, or stuffing themselves on fancy dishes, or had disappeared with some Lady's handmaiden to a distant bedchamber. Aylward looked across the room searching for a familiar face. He found Lady Margaery in the midst of the crowd. Queen Margaery now, he would have to remember. Aylward had practically watched the girl grow up, and now she was his queen.

          At the moment, she did not look particularly regal. Some minor lordling whom Aylward did not recognize had her in his arms, and nearly dragged the Queen across the room in his drunken attempts at a dance. The lordling stumbled, letting Margaery go for a moment, and Aylward took the opportunity to slip between them. "Forgive me, my lord. May I cut in?"

          Margaery flashed him a grateful smile, and they spun away from the lordling before he could protest. It seemed that Aylward was always rescuing the young Tyrell from one thing or another; a dance partner insistent on stepping on her toes, a dreadfully boring conversation with an elderly lord from a vassal house, even Loras and Renly's own joking that often got out of hand.

          "Are you enjoying yourself, your grace?" He asked, remembering the proper honorific. They shared a smile, a silent joke between two people who had known each other for ages and suddenly had their world turned upside down. "Highgarden certainly knows how to host a celebration."

          Margaery nodded, though he thought her smile seemed a bit strained. He had attended plenty of these gatherings, though they'd grown less desirable over the years. He had little interest in forced courtesies and unneeded extravagance, but with Renly as a friend, he'd grown accustomed to it. "If you ever need anything, you can ask me," he reminded her, voice low enough they couldn't be heard over the music and laughter.

          "They're all staring at me," she whispered.

          Aylward knew the feeling well, though the eyes on him were always filled with pity, not the admiration or lust that came with being a Lady of House Tyrell. "I would think by now you'd become used to their stares."

          "It isn't the same. I'm their Queen," Margaery said, as if he needed reminding. "I didn't ask for this crown or the responsibilities that came with it. No one asked me if I wanted it." She broke off, and again Aylward just how young she was. She was just a girl who always had a smile for everyone and flowers in her hair. But this was their world; this was what it meant to be a lady of a great house. "How do I do this?"

          "The same way you do everything else, with grace." He had never been good with comforting words, and his skill at building morale came only on the battlefield. But he had no doubt that Margaery would be a great Queen, perhaps a better Queen than Renly would be King. "Believe in yourself, your grace. I do."

♔ ♔ ♔ ♔

          Aylward had expected they would depart shortly following the wedding celebrations, if not the very next day. Renly, however, seemed content to dally as if Highgarden was his own royal pleasure palace and there wasn't a war to wage half a continent away. But after several years in King's Landing, in Renly's personal guard, Aylward had grown used to his new king's taste for luxury.

          That wasn't to say Aylward disapproved, for it wasn't his place to judge. He merely found himself rather bored in Renly's company. The King was a great conversationalist if you liked court gossip and making mockery of the royal family. However, Aylward's interests lay in military strategy and histories. But still, they found common ground through their Tyrell friends, and Aylward had been honored to take a top spot amongst Renly's guard.

          Though he missed Highgarden and the friends he made there, the position had been too good to pass up. Serving the King's brother was more than a disowned knight from a vassal house could to aspire to, save from an appointment to the Kingsguard. Besides, the capital was further away from his former home. In the Red Keep, he was safe from unpleasant reminders. It had been a good life, if a bit unfulfilling. But with Renly's coronation, life had become more uncertain.

          "A King must have a guard of the highest caliber," Renly addressed the small gathering. He had a way of speaking in a haughty tone when he thought he'd had an especially good idea. When they were younger, Garlan and Aylward had teased him for it. "But Kingsguard is overused." He waved forward servants who carried new cloaks in an array of colors. From what Aylward could see, they looked expertly made, more like court clothing that battle garb. "You men are among the finest knights in Westeros, and have served me faithfully for years. I hope you will all accept these cloaks and a position in my Rainbow Guard."

          Cloaks were distributed and vows were taken. Loras Tyrell was unsurprisingly named Lord Commander. He took his vows first, followed by Ser Guyard Morrigen, deemed Guyard the Green. Then Ser Emmon Cuy the Yellow, and Ser Parmen Crane the Purple. Aylward took his vows last, and accepted the titled Aylward the Orange.

          The remaining two cloaks would be held in reserve. For now, five knights were enough. It wasn't as if they intended to fight battles any time soon. There were still troops to gather and plans to make, and a continent to cross before they reached the walls of King's Landing. The rainbow cloaks, despite their gaudiness, drew them together. Aylward felt as if these men were united in common cause. Even with insurmountable odds before them, they were eager to pledge their lives to their new King. Together they could do the impossible, as Robert had done before them, and unseat a King.