―aylward.

𝓣he trial of Tyrion Lannister ended rather shockingly, much to the glee of the citizens of King's Landing. It was the only thing to be talked of, from the alehouses to the gardens of the Red Keep. A trial by combat would be held to prove the dwarf's innocence with Oberyn Martell as his champion.

          Aylward had begun to doubt Amina's safety with the Dornish, they were seemingly all insane. Oberyn was facing Gregor Clegane. He was the largest man Aylward had ever had the displeasure of laying eyes on. Anyone with sense would be terrified, but last Aylward had seen of Oberyn, the man had been laughing. Even Ellaria seemed more confident in her paramour's abilities, than concerned.

          Aylward and Amina joined the Tyrell party on their walk to the trial grounds. He had tried in vain to convice Amina to stay in her rooms, but she'd insisted she must be there to cheer Oberyn on. Of course, this meant she was currently not speaking to him for even having the audacity to question her. Aylward couldn't even fault her petulance. It was more than he'd gotten out of her these past weeks.

          Amina went ahead to walk with Margaery and Elinor, while Aylward fell in step with Garlan and Loras. He'd forgotten how much he enjoyed their company. Falling back in among the Tyrells took him back to his childhood. Though nothing could be quite the same as it was before. They were older now and carrying their own loses.

          "I hate to see you leave us so soon, old friend," Garland said, patting Aylward on the back. "It's been too long since we've all been together." He laughed softly and slung his arms around Aylward and Loras. "I do miss the days we spent terrorizing Highgarden."

          Loras scoffed. "The days the two of you spent terrorizing Highgarden, you mean. I spent my days training." He slung out an arm toward the walls of the Red Keep. "And look where it got me."

          "A terrible job," Garlan muttered under his breath. Aylward had to agree with the sentiment, he hadn't enjoyed his time in the capital one bit. All other concerns aside, he was more than happy to be leaving King's Landing in a few days' time.

          Further down the hall, a voice called Garlan's name. He sighed and stepped away from the other men. "I do believe I hear my dear lady wife calling." To Loras he added, "See that Margaery doesn't stay too long. She shouldn't see this." Loras nodded and watched as his brother walked away.

          When Garlan was fully out of earshot, Loras turned back to Aylward with a frown. "She shouldn't be here either. You weren't with her at the wedding. I was. No matter how healed she claims to be, she isn't."

          Aylward agreed, but he'd already had that argument once today. "She made her decision. You try forcing her to do anything she doesn't want to do." Loras looked disappointed but didn't press the issue further.

          Up ahead, Amina and Margaery had ducked onto a balcony. Elinor was nowhere to be seen, likely off flirting with some knight. Better him than me, Aylward thought. Elinor had hardly left him alone since he'd arrived. He had to pity her betrothed, that girl was a terror.

          Aylward went to join the women, but Loras stopped him. They stood just close enough to hear their hushed voices. Margaery took Amina's hands in hers. Both girls had tears in their eyes. They were saying their goodbyes.

          "But perhaps this doesn't have to be goodbye forever. We'd love for you to come to Highgarden to marry Willas." Amina's face went blank as a slab of granite. "When I marry Tommen and become Queen, we can help you take back the North and find your family."

          Amina pulled her hands back from Margaery's. "You mean, you want me out of the way while you find another crown for your head." Her tone was so icy, Aylward cringed.

          A burst of Margaery's own temper flared, and she lurched forward. "Min–" She caught herself, took a breath, and started again. "That isn't what I meant." Her words were short and clipped. Aylward knew her well enough to know she was biting back her hurt. "Would it be so bad to be Lady of Highgarden? To be my sister?"

          Amina's steel didn't soften at the words. "I won't be told who to marry again."

          "And you think Dorne will spare you of that fate?" Margaery snapped. "You're crawling to them, begging for scraps. The Martells are no saviors, and Jaime Lannister is as treacherous as they come."

          "You don't know him," Amina said with a shake of her head. "And you certainly do not know me." Amina shot away from Margaery and resumed her march toward the trial grounds.

          "Ah, that could have gone better," Loras muttered.

          Aylward shot his friend a glance. "You knew about this?"

          Loras shrugged. "It was Olenna's idea, she put it into Margaery's head it was the best choice for everyone. Not that either of them bothered to tell Willas."

          At the end of the hall, Amina was almost out of sight. Margaery stood bereft, staring after her. Aylward shook his head exasperated. "That will not mend easily. Of all the things to spring on her...Both of you should have known better." Loras raised his hands in surrender.

          "I only wanted..." Margaery trailed off. Tears brimmed in her eyes, but her fists were clenched. Anger and disappointment warred on her face.

          Aylward put a hand on her shoulder. "You know better than anyone what it feels like to have your choices taken from you."

          Margaery slumped. "She'll be alright, won't she? In Dorne?"

          "I'll make sure of it."

♔ ♔ ♔ ♔

          Amina sat in silence as the trial by combat began. Her eyes darted, following Oberyn's every move. He could almost see her calculating what her own moves would be, where she would slice and jab. For a moment, Aylward wasn't worried about her. This was the Amina he knew. A fighter.

          "About Margaery..." He said quietly. Amina shushed him. "I know you're upset with her, but–"

          "I don't wish to waste time discussing absurdities," she snapped. Her eyes flicking to him for only a moment before they were back on Prince Oberyn. "Let me watch."

          Aylward gave up and turned his attention back to the fight. Clegane was beginning to tire, and Oberyn was pushing his advantages. He was quick as a whip and the spear let him keep his distance from the giant he faced.

          Finally, Oberyn found an opening and plunged the spear into the Mountain's armpit. Amina sucked in a breath. "He's actually going to do it."

          "Say her name!" Oberyn screamed, loud enough to be heard from their seats above. "Elia Martell!"

          Amina clenched her hands into fists. She'd been but a babe when Elia and her children had been killed, yet it was clear she carried guilt for being the one to survive. She wanted the Mountain to pay too.

          The fight veered further into the crowd. They had to stand for even the slightest view over the mass of fleeing spectators. Oberyn disappeared suddenly. "No, no, no," Amina whispered. Far below, Ellaria wailed.

          The crowd parted and Aylward caught a glimpse of Oberyn's mangled form. He yanked Amina away before she could see. "It's over. We need to go." For once, Amina didn't argue, just let him pull her as far away from the bloody scene as they could go.