―jaime.

𝓝ine days had passed since he'd been thrown into the cells of Riverrun. At least he thought it had been nine days. He lost count after the first night. Jaime was almost certain they were bringing his meals at odd hours to disorient him. But still, all things considered, he was fine.

          War was tedious; this was a well-deserved break. He would be back on his horse fighting soon enough. His father would ransom him for the Stark girls any day now, and he would be back between Cersei's legs where he belonged.

          At least, that is what Jaime wanted to believe. But one could only imagine fantasies of returning to King's Landing and a hero's welcome for so long before they began to crumple. In truth, Tywin Lannister was too smart and too stubborn to trade his Stark hostages for his son, even if Jaime was his favorite son.

          When the door cracked open, he expected to see his gaoler bringing a meal of stale bread and thin broth. Instead it was a girl. Though she did have a bowl in one hand, and a cup of in the other. "What, no bread?"

          The raven-haired girl looked down at the bowl, then back at him with a raised eyebrow. "This is better than you deserve. The cells of Riverrun spoil their prisoners." She offered him the bowl and cup. Jaime reached, but the chains were short and she was just out of reach. He suspected she knew that.

          She smirked, and her eyes sparkled with a hint of mischief. That was when he realized whom he was dealing with. "Ah, if it isn't the Queen in the North herself." Amina shook her head. The last time Jaime had seen her, she was dressed in a fine gown and hanging onto his arm. They'd traded japes about King Robert. She even made him laugh. He did not feel much like laughing at the present. "I forget, have you married him yet? I suppose not, otherwise you'd have a pretty little crown." She made a gesture that suggested she would have crossed her arms if her hands weren't full. "Now I remember. You aren't betrothed to him, because you aren't anyone. Isn't that right?"

          To Amina's credit, she didn't so much as squirm. Impressive, Jaime thought, either she doesn't know, or she's just a very good liar. His bet was on the latter. "Do you want to eat or not?" She asked, waving the bowl and looking bored.

          "By all means..." Amina took a half step closer, just enough to let him take the bowl and cup from her hands. As soon as her hands were free, she stepped back out of reach and crossed her arms with a frown. "I do wonder though, what was Eddard Stark planning to do with you? He was too honorable to ship you off as some liege lord's bride. No, that wouldn't be fitting for a princess, not even a exiled princess."

          Her eyes flashed vivid lilac for the briefest moment. Amina rolled her shoulders back, with a look of defiance, but she was silent. "But the heir to the North is a much more suitable match. Though, if you ask me, Robb Stark is still far below your station. Perhaps a second daughter could settle for the North, but-"

          "But, I didn't ask you," she said.

          Jaime's words died on his lips. He smirked instead. "No, I suppose you didn't." He lifted the bowl to his lips and took a sip. The broth had grown tepid, but it was chilly soup or hunger, and he needed his strength. "Ah, well, love is such a precious thing, and it's clear the Young Wolf adores you. I would wager a wedding is on the horizon, though how he'll explain it to his lords, I don't know."

          "Even if I wanted to be wed in the midst of war, he's betrothed to another," Amina said flatly. "And what would you know of love?"

          "More than you might think, little queen." She raised an eyebrow but kept her lips pressed together. She must think very little of him if she believed his heart so cold he was incapable of love. How far they had fallen since Winterfell's great hall. "You must not love him, elsewise you'd be rushing to crown yourself." He hummed, thinking. "There must be another. But who? Not the Greyjoy boy, he inherited his father's charms. You wouldn't be the type to fall for some commoner or lesser lord, no. That only leaves the bastard, noble-blooded and mysterious." She squared her jaw and Jaime laughed. "Right on the first guess!"

          "This was pointless," the princess muttered, she started for the door.

          "A thousand men would die for the chance to wed a dragon, even now," Jaime said. Amina stopped in her tracks, turning slowly. "Kings are springing up left and right, wouldn't it be interesting if there was a Queen?"

          There was a question on her lips. It was obvious Amina wanted to ask how he knew so much, but she would never speak the words. Robert hadn't known, Eddard was smart enough to keep that piece of information to himself. Jaime supposed there was a plan to reveal her to the crown eventually, along with a promise she'd marry into the North and never threaten Robert's rule. It couldn't even be said for certain that Tywin Lannister knew. Jaime certainly hadn't told him, and there weren't many others alive who knew of the girl. But Jaime had been in King's Landing when Aerys summoned his infant daughter. The Mad King thought together they would be reborn amongst fire as dragons. Jaime had put a stop to that.

          "You aren't the only one, you know," Jaime said. She froze, in the low lighting of the cell her eyes looked dark as a stormy sky. Amina looked at him for a long moment, and then finally she whirled around and disappeared through the door as quickly as she came.

          The monotony resumed. Jaime expected Amina's curiosity would draw her back, but day after day went by – at least he thought they were days – and she never returned.