―the serpentess.

𝓔llaria leaned toward the mirror as she painted her lips a deep ochre. She had to admire the chambers they'd been given in the Red Keep. They were nothing compared to her rooms at the Water Gardens, but then the Dornish set their expectations high. These Crownlanders had a certain elegance she could appreciate, nonetheless.

          In the front room, Oberyn was greeting their guests. Ellaria slinked toward them, pausing to watch her beloved fill a cup of wine for the copper-haired girl. Desmera Redwyne sipped from the goblet and smiled. Ellaria was surprised to see a girl used to the Arbor's red water sipping a Dornish red with such ease. Meanwhile, Jaime Lannister hardly touched his own cup.

          Oberyn glanced toward the bedroom and noticed Ellaria in the doorway. "Ah, and this beauty is Ellaria Sand, the love of my life and mother to four of my daughters."

          "Perfect little angels," Ellaria added with a soft smirk. She and Oberyn shared a conspiratorial look. It was likely the younger girls were terrorizing the Water Gardens as they spoke. Ellaria had almost suggested bringing them to court if only to see the Queen's reaction. One day Ellaria's girls would be as fearsome as the eldest Sand Snakes. If only that thought didn't worry me quite so much.

          Desmera looked between Ellaria and Oberyn with a curious look. Ellaria was used to the contempt of northern nobility, but Desmera's look was not full of venom. The copper-haired girl looked almost wistful.

          "Well, now that we're all here..." Oberyn began as he took his seat. "Perhaps the two of you can finally enlighten us as to the purpose of this meeting?" The question was directed to the Lannister, but it was the girl who spoke.

          "I wish that I weren't meeting you under these circumstances, Prince Oberyn," she said softly. "But I'm afraid I must ask for your help." She glanced at Jaime, and he nodded. "You see, I came to King's Landing under false pretenses, and baring a false name. Most know me as Amina Corrigan, or perhaps Amina Stark."

          Ellaria and Oberyn shared a look. Robb Stark's widow, the Queen in the North, presumed dead along with most of her men. The girl—Amina—sat very still, waiting for someone else to speak. "Did you kill Joffrey Baratheon?" Oberyn asked finally.

          Amina looked somewhat affronted by the question, but Jaime looked unsurprised. "I did not and neither did Sansa."

          Oberyn nodded. "I expected as much, though I would not blame either of you if you had." A dark look passed over Amina's face. Ellaria suspected that a part of the girl wished she had been the one to kill the young king, and not a small part. "However, I don't believe Tywin or Cersei would feel the same way."

          Oberyn paused for a sip of wine, his eyes never leaving the girl's. "So you seek safety in Dorne." Amina nodded. "Why Dorne? Why not return to the North or the Riverlands? Surely there are still men loyal to your late husband who would be thrilled to see you alive."

          Amina was quiet for a moment. "Those who have not pledged loyalty to Roose Bolton are either dead or under siege. They have their own battles to fight, I won't draw them into another until I'm sure they will survive it."

          Oberyn nodded, appraising. "My brother has done his best to keep out of this war." There was a hint of bitterness in his words. "Why should Dorne shelter you now and risk the Lannister's sword?" His eyes slid to Jaime at that.

          "Because I want justice for Elia and her children as well," Amina said quietly. Her eyes were cast down toward her wine, as if she could find her words at the bottom of the goblet. "Because I lived when they did not."