Chapter 14

The next day went by in a blur. Next thing Marinette knew, tomorrow was her wedding.

"Everything's perfect right?"

Alya nodded, reclining back her chair.

"Marinette, you've asked me that 8 times!"

"Sorry! Sorry! It's just, what if we're missing something?"

Alya snickered. "We aren't missing anything, I promise. Well, except for the fact that the bride has been ignoring the groom for a day. What's up with that?"

Marinette put her head between her hands, without answering. After a while she said, "Alya, why did Adrien start liking me?'

Alya frowned. "I-I actually don't know. It just happened. One day, Adrien went up to Nino and started gushing about how cute you looked. Then a week later, he asked you out. He just, suddenly started."

Marinette nodded. "And he never showed any signs before, right?"

"Nope. Why are you asking me th- oh. That's what's bothering you?"

The other girl dipped her head.

"Well, if you want, I can look into it. No promises though."

Marinette ran to give her best friend a hug. "Thank you! I love you so much Alya!"

The brunette pushed her away. "Why so suddenly though?"

"I-It just crossed my mind," lied Marinette.

Alya raised an eyebrow, but let her be. She had a job to do.

"She's not picking up again Plagg!"

Adrien stomped over to the other side of the room and flopped down on his bed.

"Kid, relax. She's probably busy."

"Relax? RELAX? Plagg! What if she figured it out?"

"I doubt it. You humans are oblivious that way. Now cheese on the other hand...."

Adrien threw his pillow and the god of destruction made it crumble in pieces.

"That's one way to dodge it."

Plagg cackled and zoomed over to Adrien.

"Now. Tikki told me to talk to you about this...."

"About what?"

Plagg sighed. "Kid, why the heck would you date Marinette as Chat Noir?"

"Oh. Um... I wasn't thinking?"

"Yeah, you weren't. Just because you know, doesn't mean she does. So I want you to go right now, and tell her you can't."

Adrien groaned. "Fine."

"Princess? You there?"

Marinette opened her window, and guilt flickered across her face when she saw Chat.

"Kitty! I uh... wasn't expecting you!"

"A pleasure as always princess. May I come in?"

"Oh uh..." Marinette played with a strand of her hair. "It's not really the best time...."

"Oh uh, of course. Can we talk outside?"

"S-Sure, but make it quick. I have something I need to do."

They both settled into the chairs placed outside and Chat began.

"So..."

"Chat." she interrupted. "I can't do this. We can't be together. I'm engaged, you're engaged, none of this works out."

He nodded. "That's why I was here."

Marinette gave a sad smile. "Best friends?"

"Always."

He turned around and left, the hole in their friendship ripping deeper.