Chapter 9

The pale light of the moon shone down upon the grass, giving it a silver tint. Sagebreeze travelled alongside Foxpaw, who was taking in the scents of a new part of territory he'd not been in before, while Longwhisker and Whitefoot walked ahead, focused on getting to the border to check for rogue scent.

"This place is so cool!" Foxpaw exclaimed, eyes gleaming like the night's stars. "And it's so cool when it's dark out. I've never been out at night before."

"It's alright, I guess," Longwhisker replied, groaning a little. His tail lay on the ground behind him as he walked. "It's not like we're usually allowed to stretch out legs this late at night, so I guess it's fine."

Sagebreeze glanced down at her apprentice, who strode along the path to their hunting spot and warned him, "Don't get used to this. You'll probably never be out at this time ever again."

"That's easy for you to say, since Dogstar likes you so much," Longwhisker sneered, his ears swerving back in disgust.

Great, thanks for the comment Longwhisker. It was very valuable to me.

The four cats trekked along the barren territory, not even a fly seemed to be about. As they approached the thunderpath near the wall, Sagebreeze felt doubtful. Was there any prey out tonight? Shouldn't there be prey, since no cat is usually out at this time?

"I smell rabbit and it's fresh!" Foxpaw exclaimed, cutting off Sagebreeze's train of thoughts. Oh Thank Starclan! She followed Foxpaw's gaze to see a white rabbit, halfway across the road.

Sagebreeze dropped into a hunting crouch, noticing both Foxpaw and Whitefoot do the same. She explained, "It's right over there on the thunderpath, I'll-"

Longwhisker's tail fell in front of Sagebreeze's eyes and she stopped abruptly. "Let him him do it. He needs the confidence," Longwhisker growled, though his tone was surprisingly quiet. Foxpaw had also stopped and fell back alongside his mentor, watching Whitefoot carefully stalk towards the rabbit.

The rabbit didn't notice that it was being watched by the whole patrol, it just hopped slowly along the road. It's ears twitched as if it sensed something in the distance, but instead of sprinting it stood on the spot in some sense of fear. Whitefoot knew this was his chance. He leapt from his place and bit down on the rabbit's neck.

"Good job Whitefoot!" Foxpaw said, his whiskers twitching in excitement.

Sagebreezed nodded and added, "It was quite a good catch." She turned to Longwhisker, expecting to hear him give his brother a heartfelt complement, but Longwhisker stood still, jaw wide open. Sagebreeze knocked a forepaw against him, but he still remained still. Whitefoot, his catch firmly in his mouth, had turned around and gaze backed at Longwhisker.

Whitefoot eyes suddenly widened as he dropped his catch and scampered for the side of the road, a overwhelming light coming towards him at an alarming rate. Longwhisker sprinted towards the thunderpath and before he could reach the road Sagebreeze held his scruff as securely as she could, a deafening sound roaring past.

As the sound passed, Sagebreeze let go of Longwhisker's scruff. Longwhisker bolted towards Whitefoot's body and Sagebreeze followed cautiously. "WHITEFOOT!" Longwhisker wailed, burring his nose in his brothers fur. Sagebreeze felt horrified by the sight. Whitefoot's back legs were mangled and bloodied to the point she couldn't recognise him.

"Longwhisker, is he okay? Is he injured?" Sagebreeze asked after a few seconds of dazed terror.

"Get. A damn. Medicine cat."

Sagebreeze didn't wait. She sprang across the thunderpath and raced towards camp, her heart beating faster and faster as the trees blurred past her. She felt like she was going to be sick, thoughts rushing through her head. She burst into camp and yowled for Rockgaze or Milkpaw's help.

Multiple cats exited their dens. Sagebreeze glanced around, noticing Quailcall, Finchsong, Mudstripe, Antleap, Aspen-nose, Thistlepool, Jaytuft, and Dogstar. Damnit! She cursed to herself as she pushed back the confused cats and into the medicine den. Rockgaze turned to her. "What's going on?" She questioned.

"Whitefoot's been ran over!" Sagebreeze cried as Milkpaw got out of her nest. "I need you to get over there right now or he might not live."

Rockgaze didn't say another word to Sagebreeze and instead turned to Milkpaw, "Get me Celandine and Chamomile, I'll get many cobwebs as I can carry!"

Milkpaw frantically rushed around the medicine den as she searched for celandine and grabbed a mouthful of it. She then rushed to the other side of the den and got onto her hind legs, reaching into an empty slot in the wall. "We have no chamomile!" She yelled over her shoulder in shock.

"I've told you before that there's dandelion leaves in the shelf above it, get them!" Rockgaze hissed, cobwebs wrapped around her paws.

Milkpaw stood on her hind legs and tried as hard as she could to reach the next shelf. Sagebreeze hopped over and took a mouthful of the dandelion leaves. "I've got them!" Sagebreeze said, her voice muffled by the leaves.

Rockgaze came quickly out of the second room of the medicine den. "Sagebreeze, lead me to where it happened!"

Sagebreeze, followed closely by Milkpaw and Rockgaze, dashed out of camp, shoving past the crowd of cats in camp. Sagebreeze kept moving as swiftly as she could until she reached Whitefoot and Longwhisker's side. As Sagebreeze glanced behind her, she noticed that only Rockgaze was behind her, as if Milkpaw got lost on the way.

"Move your stupid arrogant face, Longwhisker!" Rockgaze hissed, thrusting Longwhisker's face out of Whitefoot's fur. She swung her head around, looking for Milkpaw, then slammed her paw on the ground as she noticed she wasn't there. "Mousebrained Milk-kit! Sagebreeze, you'll have to help me."

Sagebreeze nodded as Rockgaze handed her some cobwebs. "Wrap these around his legs. This is all we can really do for him at the moment."

Sagebreeze took the cobwebs and carefully wrapped the webs around Whitefoot's legs, trying not to break the legs even more. When she was finished, she turned to Rockgaze, who was watching his sides gently fall up and down.

"He shouldn't be alive," Rockgaze gasped, pressing a paw on his pelt. Her eyes filled with interest, though she shook her head after a second. "That's not important now. Longwhisker, help me carry him back to camp."

Longwhisker got up silently, pain clouding his eyes. Rockgaze lifted Whitefoot onto Longwhisker's back and the two cats trekked back to camp. Sagebreeze glanced around, nervous at the absence of Foxpaw. She didn't notice Whitefoot's rabbit either, which just made her feel worse.

She turned around. She felt like she should be going back to camp, but she wanted to see something. She strolled past the thunderpath and after a few seconds reached the brick wall that separated the clans from twoleg-place and gazed down the long fall. She squinted, noticing something near the bottom which felt like it didn't fit with the rest of the grass.

There was blood, laced on the crushed grass below. Something had fallen off the wall, yet a body no longer remained.

--

Word count: 1172

Hey!! Sorry I haven't updated the story in forever... I'm not really motivated to write anymore?? I know I really need to do it though. My friend started writing a chapter in their story and I guess that's what pushed me to write this aa-