Chapter 1

It was Saturday evening on New Years Eve. Alayna was in the gym playing a basketball game of basketball with her brother and dad. Her family was spending the holidays at ski resort. Alayna dribbles the ball and shoots it, getting it in the basket. "She shoots, she scores!" Troy said. "And the crowd goes wild!"

"Alayna is up by one." Their dad said. Alayna smiled. She bounced the ball to her brother.

"I'm done." Alayna said. "I'm going to go take a shower." She headed towards the exit.

As she walked out of the gym, she saw her mom walking in. "Go get ready for the party." She said to Alayna.

"I am." Alayna said. She went to the hotel room and got in the shower. When she finished, she blow-dried her hair and put on a white long-sleeved dress and a pair of flats. She sat on the couch, waiting for her brother to finish getting ready.

"Ready to go?" Troy asked, walking out of bathroom.

"Yeah." Alayna said as she got up from the couch. She grabbed her clutch and put her phone in it.

"Bye mom. Bye. Dad." Alayna and Troy said.

"Bye guys." Their mom said. "Have fun." They walked out of the room and went down to where the teens party was. The room was packed. They stood there, not really knowing what to do. Then, someone started speaking.

"Who's up next for karaoke?" They said. A spotlight shone around the room and landed on Troy. Then, it landed on a girl that was sitting on a couch, reading. The two of them went up to the stage. The music started. Troy started singing first.

Troy
"Living in my own world
Didn't understand
That anything can happen
When you take a chance

Gabriella
I never believed in What I couldn't see
I never opened my heart (Oh)
To all the possibilities

Both
I know that something has changed
Never felt this way and right here tonight
This could be the start of something new
It feels so right to be here with you (oh)
And now looking in your eyes
I feel in my heart (feel in my heart)
The start of something new

Troy
Now who'd have ever thought that
Both
We'd both be here tonight

Gabriella
And the world looks so much brighter

Both
With you by my side
I know that something has changed
Never felt this way
I know it for real
This could be the start of something new
It feels so right to be here with you (oh)
And now looking in your eyes
I feel in my heart
The start of something new
I never knew that it could happen till it happened to me
I didn't know it before
But now it's easy to see
It's the start of something new
It feels so right to be here with you
And now looking in your eyes I feel in my heart
That it's the start of something new
It feels so right to be here with you
And now looking in your eyes I feel in my heart
The start of something new (The start of something new)
The start of something new."- Start of Something New from High School Musical.

When they finished singing and the music stopped, they walked off the stage. They talked for a little bit. Alayna went over to them. "Hey." Alayna said.

They both looked at her. "Hey Alayna. Gabriella, this is my little sister, Alayna." Troy said, introducing her. "Alayna, this is Gabriella."

"It's nice to meet you." Gabriella said to Alayna.

"You too." Alayna said. Everyone started counting down and said Happy New Year.

"Happy New Year." The three of them said to each other.

"I'm going to go find my mom and wish her a happy New Year."

"Yeah. We should go find our parents." Troy said.

"It was nice to meet you both." Gabriella said.

"You too." Alayna said. Gabriella walked off and Troy and Alayna went to find their parents.

"What was all that about?" Alayna asked.

"What?" Troy asked.

"The singing." Alayna said.

"It was just singing. It's not like I had a choice." Troy said. "You can't tell the guys about this."

"Why?" Alayna asked. "You're really good."

"Alayna." Troy pleaded.

"Fine." Alayna said. They walked into the adult party and looked around for their parents. "They're over there." Alayna said, pointing to a table that their parents were sitting at. They walked over to the table.

"Hey guys." Their dad said as they approached the table.

"Happy New Year." Troy said.

"Happy New Year." Their parents said as they hugged them.