Chapter 6

Kaiana Pratt
             July 7th, 2001
   Trent Memorial Hospital

It all happened so fast, i didn't even have time to blink. the first firework hit and then it all went downhill from there. A gun shot was heard not too far from where we were sitting in the field. People ran, but for us it was too late. It hit August, right in his chest. I screamed and yelled for help, but it was looking like we were all alone except for the few bystanders that were too shocked to do or say anything. So i called 911 myself, all the while struggling to keep pressure on the wound.

"stay with me baby, you're okay, you're alright" i say in a panicking voice, i was trying to stay calm for him, stay strong for him, but on the inside: i was freaking out. the gunshot wound was not in his heart, and for that i was so grateful but there was still a huge chance that it could've ruptured something really important in there, and it didn't help the fact that he has a liver illness. what if his liver fails him? oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.
Finally, an ambulance came, and we were on our way to the hospital.

Its been 3 days, and August is still in a coma. The doctors say that he's not doing any worse, and he's actually doing better, and thankfully his livers are doing really well too. they can see that he'll wake up soon, but i've still been a wreck. i just want him to talk to me, hug me, kiss me.. refer to himself as "papa aug"or something. i miss his voice. i talk to him about what's been going on, because he can still hear me. I tell him i love him after every conversation, to remind him that i haven't left his side.

Police told me that the shooting was accidental. A couple of white guys decided that it would be smart to shoot up in the air while the fireworks were going off, and one of the bullets ricocheted off a tree and into August's chest. Yep, you see it right. August's life was put on the line for someone else's careless actions. it eats me alive.

Looking at Aug hooked up to all of those wires and breathing tubes makes me sick to my stomach. i hate it for him.

The door to August's room opened and a big guy, with dreads walked in, with a card in his hand.

"Wassam' i'm Trev, his cousin" He says with a small smile on his face, his hand out to me.

"I'm Kaiana, his girlfriend" i smile back politely. August never really likes talking to me about his family so i was ecstatic to finally be meeting someone in it

"Whaaat? dis' knuckle head finally done went and got himself a girl? i'm sorry we had ta meet unda' these circumstances tho. It's nice ya meet ya"

"Me too, it's nice to finally meet some of his family"

"Yeah, well he ain't really close ta' most of em"  He told me, while slightly shaking his head.

"Really? he never told me that... now that i think of it he really hasn't said anything about his family"

"Him and his mama and nem', got a.. complicated.. relationship. They don't really too much botha' each otha', he really only talk ta me and travis, his olda' brotha"

"Wow, i never knew" i say with a small frown. Why doesn't August talk to his family? After a minute of silence, we noticed Aug's fingers twitch. I looked at Trev, and he looked at me, we directed our attention back to August until finally, we seen his eyes open.

"Oh my gosh, baby!!" i sprung up from my seat and tried my best not to jump on him, instead i gave him an excited loose hug, careful not to hurt his chest.

"I'll go get the nurse" Trev said while walking out of the door. I nodded while keeping my eyes on Aug, while he kept his eyes on me. I knew he couldn't talk yet because of the breathing tube but i sure can't wait until he can.

When the nurse and Trev walked in, i seen his lips curve into a small smile for me around the tube. Probably to insure me that he's alright

I'm so grateful that he is.

————————————-

Hi, it's been years i know, but in my defense; i lost all hope for this book i was on a really bad writers block, and i kinda still am but i just thought that's i'd give you guys a little something.

Also, i think i want to change the character of Kaiana to somebody else, i just need to figure out who. i was thinking omeretta but... i dont know. think i'm going to just do @brii_beauty on instagram.

AND i'm finna graduate y'all, that's another thing i've been busy with, Senior year is stressful asf man.
anyways, here's an update for you, hope you enjoy.

- the author