Don't leave me with Eagle

Quick question: I'm going to change the name of this story, but I don't have any ideas, please comment if you have a suggestion! (Also follow my Instagram for a writing updates)

Waking up the next morning, the deep orange glow of the sunrise filtered through the trees in rays, glittering off the dew covering everything. Alex stood slowly and stretched, quickly checking his surrounding. Nothing had changed since they had set up their basic tents in the pitch darkness last night, their limbs frozen too much to bother setting anything else up.

Getting out the basic gas cooker they had stored in one of the packs, Alex started heating up a few bowls worth of oats, setting up a couple of mugs of coffee too. Minutes later, Wolf stumbled out of the tent he shared with Eagle, which he had begrudgingly accepted after being he last to go to bed last night. He nearly tripped over a tent wire, plonking himself on the ground next to Alex, and gratefully accepting the cup of steaming coffee, freshly made. Eagle was always the last to be partnered for the night, and the unit often drew straws to decide who would share a tent with him.

Despite knowing that no one liked being partnered with him, Eagle always managed to make the night hell. He'd sing himself to sleep, and when that didn't work, he would try and make up jokes, or puns, which were even worse. After the experience the unlucky soldier in question would become quiet, either too tired to engage in conversation or too scarred to socialise or speak again. (Though they were normally back to their usual selves in a day or so, just in time for their next stay with Eagle!)

After a bit of rustling and some painful grunts, the other soldiers made their way out of the canvas tents in the shining light of the morning. Already the crimson sky had begun to turn pale blue, the halo slowly fading away.

After everyone had enjoyed some decent oats, which was quite rare considering the cooks back at camp probably deliberately made it taste like nothing, they began preparing the final details. Eventually it was decided that they would follow the plan they made last night, they would move into position to be ready for tonight, when the meeting was due to take place.

They had packed up everything in about 20 minutes, ready with their backpacks and all the equipment they would need in hand. K-Unit, excluding Viper, would hand a few hundred metres back, and stay in touch through comms, whilst monitoring the position of targets and patrol cars, looking for anything to suggest the group had been tipped off. They had several satellites and cameras at their disposal, and thermal cameras and motion detectors. A direct line with the helicopter pilot was also available, the pilot and helicopter were at an air base a few miles away, waiting for a signal.

They headed off into the forest, ready to trek the remaining few kilometres and find a new place to camp, and for Viper to set up his  Snipers nest.

Alex wasn't expecting trouble. As missions go, this was fairly simple; he had plenty of back-up and despite the warning from Mrs Jones, he was still relatively confident that they had not been compromised. Only time would tell if the mission would go smoothly, and he relied solely on his gut instincts to inform him of anything suspicious. He looked around as the group stopped, seeing on the map they were about 800m from the warehouse, the distance they had agreed upon this morning over hot coffee.

Spotting the clearing to the left of them that Wolf had obviously been eyeing keenly, Alex checked the area, ensuring there was sufficient cover from the surroundings, and found a couple of thickets of trees around the clearing, and a holly bush covering the camp from prying eyes from the direction of the warehouse.

They set their bags down, and got out the water bottles and some cereal bars as snacks, not bothering to set up tents yet, in about 5 hours they would need to be carrying out the assignment and immediately retreat to the helicopter, they had yet to decide if it should land closer, so they could escape faster but risk being shot at, or have it collect them at the drop off point, a much longer walk but safer from the searching enemies. Eventually they decided to make the final decision at the time of the assassination, as circumstances might change, the mission could still go south.

A few hours later

Sat, about 40 feet in the air, Alex felt strangely free. He knew there was only one at down to escape from the tree, and that could easily be blocked off, but still he felt as if he could do anything, say anything, and no one would notice. Of course, he didn't dare, the warehouse they were targeting was only a few hundred metres in front of him, and if there were any microphones, cameras or motion sensors in the forest then his location would be given away instantly. Instead, he sat perfectly still, leaning on the branch in front of him, which held his top-of-the-range sniper, already in position. He slowly inched forwards to press his face against the scope, carefully analysing the compound and guards, looking for any irregularities or hints that something was wrong.

Of course, something was wrong, and Alex could tell, but he had no idea what it could be. There were more guards than normal, but that was to be expected considering there was an important meeting going on in half an hour.

Suddenly, Alex's earpiece buzzed to life and a message came through the transmission. "Is everyone in position?" Even with the immense amount of static, Alex could tell it was wild talking, mainly from his annoyed voice, he had been partnered with Eagle in the west of the area, whilst Alex was in the north and Snake and Fox were hidden in the east. Alex rolled his eyes at Wolfs concern, he had taken over the mother hen position on missions, caring about his unit as if they were his own family, which they were, in a way.

Fox spoke up for his team, replying with a hint of sarcasm, "Yes mother, everything I fine and dandy over here in a bush, what did you expect?" Eagle sniggered slightly, and a nearly inaudible growl came through the mic.

Before Wolf could shout back and make them all burst into fits of laughter, Alex stepped in and reported his position. "Yep, I'm in position Wolf, sitting patiently at the top of my very lovely tree, it actually surprisingly comfortable up here, there's this branch-"

"Yeah yeah whatever Viper, seriously though have you got a clear shot at the main entrance?" Snake spoke up for the first time, asking the first serious question of the day.

"Yep, like I say, this tree is perfect, I have a great shot straight at the main front entrance and through the doors, I'm hidden on all sides by the tree though so no one will ever know where the shots came from" Smirking to himself, Alex praised his skills and concentrated on the guards circling the building, waiting for something to happen. Everyone else must have turned back to the mission, because the comms quickly fell silent again.

Nearly twenty minutes later, exactly at the specified meeting time, the guards all seemed to receive a message trough their own earpieces, and this news was confirmed by everyone, all observing the guards at their quarter of the building. They hadn't bothered covering the south, it was the furthest from the two possible helicopter landing spots, and there were no doors or windows, just one solid, electric fence and a large, deep ditch.

Only thirty seconds after receiving the message, five more guards stepped through the main doors, lining themselves against the concrete walls. As they finished living into place, several black limousines started to slowly wind their way up the rural road, towards the warehouse.

"We have incoming, two black limousines, approximately two guards in each plus a driver, each carrying two targets" Fox was the closest to the road, and could see straight into the roads when he was using the cameras they received from Smithers.

"Get ready for action, the targets have arrived."

-——AUTHORS NOTE——-
DISCLAIMER: I do not own anything you recognise from the Alex Rider series, it belongs to Anthony Horowitz!

Follow my Instagram for regular updates on writing progress and to help me decide book covers/names/characters/basic plots!! Link: https://www.instagram.com/6.rainbow.fire.6/  
If this doesn't work, check my profile!

Hey! I know it's crazy, Its been too long since an update but I have warned you before that I'm not a very insistent writer! I hope you enjoyed it, this won't be a long A/N hopefully, but please follow the Instagram account I made for this account, it currently has 2 followers I think, but I do post updates on my progress, and you get a say in what I write or design! Also on there I have explained in reasonable detail what's been going on and why I have been slower at updating than usual. Please read and review, share your honest thoughts! Even if they're negative!

Date published: 6th April 2019
Word count: 1560

—RainbowFire