chapter 10 - the final week

A/N: So uh...I made a moodboard for this fic bc why not:

I made a moodboard for this fic bc why not:

Anyway! Here's the chapter:

"He said he wasn't going to!" Buffy huffed.

"He probably just doesn't have anyone else to sit with." Cyrus responded flatly.

"Or maybe he's just untrustworthy!"

Cyrus sighed. It was Friday, and TJ was sitting with his usual group of friends at the cafeteria. This had sparked a rant from Buffy that even Marty couldn't stop.

"Honestly, it's like he wants me to have a grudge against him. You can't just promise something like that only to-" she abruptly stopped talking then, looking across at TJ's table in disbelief.

Cyrus followed her gaze, and a very similar expression appeared on his face.

TJ was standing up and gathering his things.

They all watched as the athlete walked over to their table, smiling timidly.

As he walked, Cyrus couldn't help but notice that there was one boy from Isaac's table who looked after him wistfully, clear conflict written all over his face.

Was he also considering it? Or was he sad to see TJ go? Either option was surprising to say the least.

"Hey," TJ greeted, pulling him away from his thoughts. "Can I sit here?"

Everyone except Cyrus looked to Buffy, who was shaking her head in disbelief.

Cyrus was looking at TJ now, a soft smile on his lips as he gave the boy a small wave. TJ returned the smile - and the wave.

Buffy watched the interaction, and after a few moments she let out a defeated sigh. "Yeah. You can sit with us."

Cyrus immediately brightened at that, shuffling towards Marty to make room for TJ. The boy sat down with a grateful smile, looking nervously down at the table.

No one spoke for a few moments. Cyrus didn't think he had ever encountered such an uncomfortable silence.

"Um," he began, clearing his throat. "So...this is TJ, as you all know. TJ, this is Andi, Jonah and Marty. You uh...already know Buffy."

TJ turned to Marty, an eyebrow lifted in question. "Hey - don't we have a few classes together?"

Marty shot Buffy an amazed look, before turning to the boy with a nod. "Yeah! We do."

The conversation shifted from there and although TJ remained silent through most of it, Cyrus considered it a win that his friends were willing to be so casual around the boy.

Eventually (as per usual), Andi began talking about Amber.

"It's just...she has so many friends and I feel like I'm just another one of them. How do I skip to the part where we're close? Should I just message her - which I can do now by the way because she gave me her number - asking if she wants to hang out? Also, have you guys seen the cute dress she's wearing today?"