chapter 12 - a confession

A/N: So uh,,,I know it's only been a day but here we are!!

~

Okay. So maybe they had gotten slightly side-tracked on their venture to the ice-cream parlour.

It really should've been straight-forward, considering that they had only parked about 50 metres away, but TJ had spotted a thrift shop nearby and the excited smile that came to his lips was so endearing that Cyrus couldn't refuse him.

That excited look was about 10 times more powerful than his pleading eyes would ever be, and that was saying something.

They started out at the thrift store, then they moved onto a record store, then a fabric store (because TJ was apparently starting a top secret crafting project with Andi), then a - well - he wasn't entirely sure.

"TJ, what is this place exactly?" he called.

"An LGBT bookstore." the boy responded cheerily.

"Oh. Okay. Wait - what? Why didn't you tell me?!"

He could hear TJ's soft laughter from the aisle next to him. "I thought you knew!"

"I've just been blindly following you this entire time!" he exclaimed, pocketing his phone and looking around in amazement.

Now that he was observing the place fully, it was a mystery how he hadn't picked it up sooner - there were pride flags plastered on the walls, the aisle he was standing in was literally titled 'LGBT+ History' and there were varying pride flags for sale by the front counter. Cyrus didn't think he had ever seen such a colourful place in his life.

TJ appeared at the end of his aisle, an amused grin on his lips. "I guess you're just very oblivious then. I'm getting a lesbian pride pin for Amber, do you want a gay pride one?"

Cyrus' heart leaped at that. The smile on his face was blinding as he nodded.

"Sure! Thanks."

"No problem." TJ smiled.

~

It was late afternoon when TJ and Cyrus finally made their way to the ice-cream parlour, both wearing pride pins. (Cyrus was almost inclined to ask why the other boy had brought one for himself, but then he remembered that allies exist.)

Cyrus had ended up paying for both of their ice-creams as a way to thank TJ for the pin, and they settled down on a nearby bench to have them.

Cyrus was sitting alone at the bench while TJ took a bathroom break when, out of nowhere, he heard a voice that made his blood run cold.

"Hey, Goodman. Or Cy, should I say."

He slowly lifted his head to find Isaac in front of him, along with a gang of his cronies.

"Hey, Isaac." he returned, shifting uneasily.

"I fucking knew it - look at that pin he's wearing!" one of the boys accused.

The look Isaac gave him at that was downright menacing, and Cyrus began to feel himself shaking slightly. He nervously glanced around for any signs of TJ.

"So it's true," Isaac sneered. "You are one of them. I'm guessing you turned TJ too, then?"

"I um - generally prefer the term 'gay.'" Cyrus responded, his voice small.

"You're funny." Isaac remarked, sending the boys on either side of him a nasty smirk. "I can see why TJ thought hanging out with you would be a good idea. Too bad he'll only come running back to me when he realises what a waste of time you are."