chapter 23 - confrontation

A/N: LET'S GO GAYS

"TJ Kippen, I'm about one second away from killing you right now so you better say something else." Buffy asserted, stepping toward the boy.

TJ raised his arms in surrender. "I get it, but...can I please just talk to Cyrus?"

Marty scoffed. "He's right here, dude. Fire away."

"I uh...kinda meant alone? If possible?" he said, and the words were spoken so timidly that Cyrus almost found himself feeling something aside from anger towards TJ. Almost.

"Oh that is so not happening," Andi interjected, pulling Cyrus into her arms. "I'm not leaving you alone with him for one second."

TJ sighed heavily, and it was then that he realised just how tired the boy looked. His face had much less colour than it normally did, and there were faint bags under his eyes.

Not the time, Cyrus. Not the time.

"Okay...so are you all speaking for Cyrus now, or..."

Those were obviously the wrong words to choose, because Buffy suddenly seemed about ten times more furious than she had before.

"I swear TJ, I'm dangerously close to slamming the door in your face right now."

"I'm sorry," he backtracked, clearly not wanting to add more fuel to the fire. "I didn't mean...I just...look, I don't mind talking to him with you guys there? If that's any better?"

Buffy shot Andi a questioning look, and the girl gave her a small shrug in return.

"Fine." she relented, although it was clear she wasn't happy with the idea. She reluctantly stepped aside to let the boy in, and Cyrus immediately found himself stepping backward.

"Sorry. Wouldn't wanna get too close." he mumbled, before turning around to walk over to the couch. Andi frowned and followed him, while TJ just froze, looking completely dejected.

"What have I done?" he mumbled to no one in particular, shoving his hands in his pockets as he moved over to the opposite couch.

Buffy and Marty lingered for a moment, exchanging a slightly worried look before moving to sit on the ground.

The lights flickered for a brief moment, before blacking out completely. The room was plunged into darkness - a major contrast to the warm yellow lighting from before, and it only seemed to add to the tension.

"Hang on," Marty mumbled, and after a moment there was bright white light emanating from his phone. "It's not much, but it'll work for now."

Silence fell after that, and Cyrus could confidently say it was the most uncomfortable silence he'd ever had to sit through.

TJ was fiddling with the hem of his hoodie now, clearly working up the courage to speak.

"I'm sorry." he said eventually, and Buffy couldn't help but scoff.

"And the apology of the year award goes to..."

"I know," the athlete sighed, looking back up to meet Cyrus' gaze. "I really should've planned this."

"So...are we gonna stop dancing around what happened in that tent?" Cyrus asked him, and suddenly he felt the gaze of all of his friends on him. He bit his lip nervously, before adding "Could you guys maybe hang out in the kitchen? I'm not sure if this is going to work otherwise."

Buffy opened her mouth to object, but Marty just shook his head and put a placating hand on her shoulder. "Let's go," he mumbled, before turning to address Cyrus. "Can we still listen?"