chapter 16 - camping

A/N: Hi!! Real quick, I just wanted to thank anyone who reads/votes/comments, you guys are all so precious n I love u all endlessly. Okay that's it, I hope you like the chapter!!

~

"My dad got confirmed for a new job."

The words caught Cyrus off guard at first; it was late afternoon and they had both been drawing in relative silence for about 10 minutes. Nonetheless, a wide smile came to his lips.

"TJ - that's great!

"It is!" the boy said, returning his smile. "And it means that our camping trip this year isn't cancelled after all."

"That's also great!"

TJ nodded, but he was beginning to seem hesitant. He wouldn't meet Cyrus' eye now, averting his gaze to their chalk drawings instead.

"I uh...was actually going to ask if you wanted to come with us? Maybe?"

Cyrus' eyebrows furrowed. "You mean...go camping with you guys?"

"Yeah."

"Um..."

Cyrus had very mixed feelings about camping. He had tolerated powered sites in the past, where his phone could be charged, but what if TJ was talking about an unpowered site? How could he possibly take nice photos of the scenery? (Or message his friends...or check his twitter feed.) The thought alone made him shudder.

He opened his mouth to say something along these lines, but TJ beat him to it.

"It's a powered site!"

Cyrus laughed slightly. "That's good, but...I wouldn't want to be a burden-"

"You won't be," TJ assured, handing him an orange chalk for his sunset. "My parents really don't mind - they want you to come if anything."

The more Cyrus thought about it, the more he warmed to the idea. Usually, he despised everything about camping, but camping with TJ was a whole other matter. That could actually be fun.

"Then...sure! I'd have to ask my parents though."

The smile TJ gave him then was blinding, and it almost made up for the uncomfortable aspects of camping in advance. Almost.

"Great!"

Cyrus couldn't help but notice that TJ still looked as though he wanted to say something more. He lifted a curious eyebrow.

"What is it?"

The boy smiled bashfully at that, focusing back on his drawings as if he had been exposed somehow. "Well...I was kind of wondering if I could draw you again?"

Cyrus felt his heart swoop. "Oh! But...why?"

"I was hoping for something a bit more permanent this time," TJ explained, placing his chalk down and grabbing the large sketch-pad beside him.

"So that's why you brought that out with you!"

The athlete laughed. "Yeah, you got me."

There was a fond smile on Cyrus' lips as he placed his chalk down and shuffled around to face the boy, crossing his legs and resting his chin on his hands. "Well...I don't mind modelling again."

If TJ seemed slightly flustered as he set up his sketch pad, Cyrus pretended not to notice.

The athlete questioned him about his favourite movies this time as he drew, glancing up with a fond smile whenever Cyrus said something particularly endearing.