ᵒ⁷. ᵗʰᵉ ʷᵉᵃᵖᵒⁿ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵐᵃᵈᵐᵃⁿ.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ °• ☼ CHAPTER SEVEN: THE WEAPON OF A MADMAN ☾ •°⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

•°•☆•°•

RHAEGAR WAS MARRIED to Elia Martell of Dorne within the next few months. The wedding was as grand as ever, red ribbons hanging from marble archways, doves perched on each pillar, tied by their legs in a way which Nessie thought was cruel and planned to mischievously cut them free later. Neither Aerys nor Viserys attended the ceremony, for Aerys' fear of assassination.

     It had been a bright Summer's day for an outdoor wedding, and the sun had caressed them as they stood in its light. Nesaela had been dressed in a pale gown which pooled around her long legs, hair tied up in a braided crown on her head. Bracelets of silver glittered around her wrists and she stood beside her mother and Rhaegar. Her older brother wore his finest clothing, protected by thin armour underneath, and his long white hair was sleek on his shoulders. His nervousness showed, and several times Nesaela stomped on his shoe to stop his foot tapping, which earned her a grin.

     Elia of Dorne arrived in a silk and gold carriage pulled by caramel horses which's silk bridles trailed in the wind. When she'd stepped out from the carriage, a hush had overcome the crowd, as if they'd turned to a field of daisies and were being brushed by the wind.

     She was adorned in blood red silks and white roses entwined in the veil upon her head. Elia's dark crystal eyes shone behind the silk mesh. Jewels littered her flawless skin and silver jewellery were adorned from her straight Dornish nose, to her delicate feet. Nesaela thought she was the most beautiful woman she had ever seen, and she hoped Rhaegar thought the same. Elia had looked like a mystical dream, all silver and red, almost as tall as Rhaegar and, Nessie was sure, twice as brave.

     When Elia and Rhaegar had held each other's hands and the priest spoke the sacred words as he bound them with ribbon, Nesaela saw no love in their eyes. She saw duty, friendship and fondness, and their equal share of nerves. Rhaegar had always wanted true love, but as Nessie looked now, she knew Elia and Rhaegar would be good for each other, as good friends would be.

     After the consummation, it was customary for the members of the groom's family to exchange gifts with the brides, as a sign of gratitude and welcoming into the new family. When it was Nesaela's turn, she'd given Elia a laced collection of the Myths from the Known world—Oberyn had mentioned Elia loved to read—and a ring sculpted in the shape of a dragon claw. In turn, Elia had given her a pin: a smooth golden sun with a thorned rose piercing the middle. Nesaela had loved it, and pinned it to her dress-front immediately, despite the gold clashing with her silver jewellery. Elia's pretty grin at the fact Nessie loved her gift was even more a reward, and she hoped Elia liked her gift too.