How This Book Came to Be

Originally book was my submission to the 2019 Open Novella Contest. It's based on prompt #4 in Fantastical:

Myths of the Old World: Over time, what was once considered right is now wrong. Whether a belief, or perhaps a symbol, what was once admired, is now shunned. You set out on a quest to discover the truth behind the myths of the old world. What happened to change the belief (or symbol) to become the opposite of what it once stood for, and, more importantly, how will your discovery impact the world you're living in now?

The myths of the old world inspired me to return to my writing roots, YA SciFi with dystopian elements.

This is a tale of a world that has forgotten about its origins—a world where the past is nothing but a distorted memory.

As I wrote it for the ONC 2019, I had to leave some things out to stay within the word limit, knowing that this left some gaps and some characters underdeveloped.

In Fall 2020, I have corrected this, expanding the story to the scope it merits, in my view. And in May 2021, I have made another round of edits.

Do let me know what you think. Any feedback is welcome.

The breathtaking Phoenix picture above, which I also use as a separator, was created by EvelynHail.