37. The Trial

The bishop is the judge, the captain his executioner.

The Manuals of the Bunker, Vol. 2, Verse 3

 2, Verse 3

The bishop stepped to the edge of the dais and looked down at us.

A red bruise marred his almost bald head.

"You impress me," he said. "I wouldn't have expected you to come back."

Amy moved her hand into her jacket. Knowing she was digging for the gun, I gestured her to stop—pulling a weapon might end all opportunity to speak and to explain matters.

"We need to talk," I said, loud enough for everyone to hear. "We have learned something very important that everyone needs to know. The—"

The bishop raised a finger. "Let me guess. You've come here to apologize for hitting me. And for attacking the guards."

"They attacked us," Amy said. Her hand slid deeper into her jacket. "And ye hit me, so ye should apologize, not I."

"Take them." He motioned at the two guards behind him, the bearded and the tall one.

"Stop." Amy drew her gun and pointed it right at the bishop's bulging belly.

The man took a step back.

I held up a hand. "Listen, sir! We really need to talk."

He smiled. "Of course. Let's do that."

I fumbled for words. "We have been... When we were chased, we entered one of the tunnels."

Something was off. The bishop looked so serene, and one of the two guards behind him seemed to smirk.

Two guards!

Before I had time to look for Wolfe, I heard his voice next to me.

"Give me the weapon." The captain had appeared beside Amy, two steps away from her. He must have left the stage when we were concentrated on the bishop.

"Stay away! Or I'll snuff the gob of fat in yellow." Amy gestured with her gun at the bishop.

In an almost leisurely move, Wolfe reached out and placed his hand on the barrel. Amy tried to kick him, but he dodged her foot, pulling the weapon from her at the same time.

For a moment, they looked at each other, both with slit-eyed murder in their face.

Two fierce, redheaded adversaries about to jump each others' throats.

He relaxed. "The thing has a safety switch. It won't shoot like that."

The two guards jumped off the dais. The one with the beard seized Amy, the other one me.

"Wait!" Wolfe held up a hand. "We don't know what else they carry with them."

He approached me, not looking into my eyes but scanning my body. "Give me that pack."