5 | HER

Miya fell on the wooden floor of her apartment with a heavy thud after crawling through the window.

With clenched fists, she mustered all the strength she had left to make her way to the bathroom while the anguish in her back throbs and left a ghostly touch. The crimson liquid formed trails as she staggered, hands coated with her ashes. Her teeth gritted behind her scarf, and with a small grunt, she pulled it off, tossing it to the side. Black and white began painting her world, and if she didn't get the serum in time, she'd start bleeding to death.

She expected this. She expected her mission to end this way somehow. She knew the risk of trying to kidnap one of the most important people in society. Yet, her clouded mind was starting to tempt her to give in—give up when there's nothing left for her to live for, give in to death.

It was just a mission of intel—to find out where AMPED is and shut them down. Killing the leader of that damn organization was optional, but Miya will never let it slide. She was thirsty. She was thirsty after all these years of waiting, researching and training. She couldn't give up just yet.

Her heart was pulsating in her ears—so goddamn loud and numb that she starts to feel light headed. Almost there. She just have to open the cabinet behind the mirror, get the serum and inject it near the wound behind on the lower left.

She stumbled through the bathroom, eyes heavy as the world starts spinning. Her breaths were shallow, like whispers ghosting the cold tiles. She leaned her weight on the sink, shakily lifting her other hand as she opened the small cabinet and automatically spotting the syringe with a bunch more.

She gasped as the sting in her wound escalated in pain, white vision already veiling her gaze. Quickly, she snatched the syringe and punctured it immediately into her side, sliding the serum into her bare skin. And when she felt her burning nerves easing into numbness, that's when she collapsed to the blood-stained tiles, exhaustion resting on her eyelids.

__________

Their home was hunted or perhaps tattered in ways Miya couldn't describe. The holes in the cream-coloured walls weren't an accident. She knew that because they were concentrated—like they were aiming for a target. And maybe she knew that too, but she didn't want to find out.

But then it was already too late to look away—her emerald gaze was frozen at the sight of pools of crimson. Her feet were rooted to the wooden floor that was now tainted by a liquid thicker than water, thicker than skin. Her lips parted in shock, ferocity, confusion, heartbreak, as she finds the forms of death right before her eyes in her own home.

"Mother... Kouta..."

The first thought that came to her mind was: why?

Why were they killed? Why them? Why here?

Miya never thought of who murdered them or where the offender was. All she wanted to know was why her only family was targeted to a possible planned attack from someone she doesn't know—maybe she does. This was definitely intended, and Miya wanted answers.

She didn't cry when her gaze made contact with the lifeless ones. She didn't scream in agony when the thought of their deaths finally possessed her mind. She didn't even do anything at that life-changing moment as she scrutinized the bodies that once gave her a purpose—gave her life.

It wasn't because she was heartless—it was because she was born.

The day she fell, was the day she rose.