Chapter 6

I flutter my eyes open and see a bright yellow light. It takes me a minute to fully open them, but I do. I look around at the room, it's lit with the sunshine rays peering in through the window. The bed is warm and feels softer than usual. I rub my eyes and glance at the clock. It flashes 8:27.

I then hear Roger's soft snores, and then I feel his arm lazily draped over my stomach. I slowly turn my head to face him. He looks so peaceful, and he is on his stomach with his hair shooting in all different directions.

I smile as I lightly tap on his cheek, causing his face to shift and his eyebrows furrow. I keep poking his face as he soon flutters his eyes open, but closes them quickly from the brightness of the room. He eventually wakes up and sits up in the bed trying to remember what had just happened.

Then he did. He probably was just confused, why when he came back I was in a ball in the corner of a room telling myself it was okay. Then I remembered it all. Remembered seeing them. I feel chills and then I try to think of something else, other than that scene playing in my mind.

"Safiya. Um, good morning." Roger says facing me. I smile. It felt very awkward, Roger never acted so awkward around me.

"Look, um, sorry if I scared you last night, I don't really know, what, um, what happened." I said twiddling my thumbs. I then think about last night. How lonely I felt. I never ever felt that lonely before. Roger always made sure I was never alone. Like if I spent too much time alone I would go insane. Then I realize I should stop thinking and tell Roger.

"Rog, look, I'm so, so sorry," I said choking back on tears. "I never realized how much I needed you until last night. I'm sorry I didn't realize how I hadn't been focusing on you, it's just been so hard with all these hallucinations, and the voices,"

Roger softens his eyes, and looks at me like I'm a poor sick widow or something.

"You've been having these hallucinations a lot lately? I, I'm sorry I should have realized it. Look. Forget I ever said anything. You show me more than enough love, and I shouldn't have scared you like that last night." Roger says as he leans in to hug me.

"Here, I'll talk to your therapist and we can figure out all these hallucinations you are having. God, I should've realized, Bryce threatened you with a gun, you probably have PTSD or something" Roger says and then pauses. He licks his lips and says "Here, I'll drive you to school and pick you up, I had something to tell you, so why don't we go to dinner tonight,"

I smile and nod my head slightly, not talking because my throat hurt so much from holding back the tears.

"Great!" Roger says as his ocean eyes light up. "And, Saf. Just please tell me if you have a hallucination. I just want to try to help you. You went through so much you deserve some help and support through this,"

"Roger, I love you so much. Thank you for caring about me. You seem like the only person that's not afraid of me." I say laughing a little. Roger giggles like a little school girl and takes my hands in his.

"Of course I'll take care of you. I know who you are Safiya. You're who I see myself with at the end of the day. You deserve someone to love you." He says, bringing my hand to his soft lips and kissing it softly, while never once breaking eye contact.

I smile. I look at the time, 8:39. I should really get going, I can't be late to school. Exams are starting tomorrow and its not like I have a chance to recover from watching someone die in front of me.

........................................................................

I waltz out of the school building and look around for Roger's car. I soon spot it by a tree and rush over to it. Roger is talking with some one though, on the phone, and he seems pretty nervous. Then I see him. Bryce. He rounds the corner of the side walk and I feel a pit in my stomach.

My heart race increases and my palms get sweaty. He gets closer and closer. I stumble back, falling against the cold pavement as people rush around me. I see Bryce standing above me. It seems so real I forget I'm hallucinating. My breathing gets heavier and I struggle to get up. I feel someone grab my wrist.

I turn around and it is Bryce. It either has gotten physical, or Bryce is actually there. I scream bloody murder and run. I push through the people all the way back up the stairs to the school building. I look at my wrist as I whip open the glass doors.

It's red, and it has finger prints pressed into it. I pull my sleeve further up my wrist and make it to the bathroom. I open up a stall and lock it behind me. I catch my breath and crash onto the floor. It never was like that. It never felt that real. It never left a mark like that.

I whip out my phone and dial Roger's number, my heart still racing. After two rings Roger picks up. His voice alone calms my nerves.

"Roger help." I say flatly. I can already picture his face filling with fear.

"What?! What's wrong where are you? Are you hurt, do you need the police?!" Roger asks panicking.

"No. I just, had a hallucination. It was just terrifying it felt so real, and it was physical and I just, don't know." I said trembling over my words.

"Shh, calm down Safiya. Breathe with me, come on, in, and out." Roger says taking deep breathes.

In and out.

In and out.

In and out.

I hear a knock at the bathroom door. It must be Roger. I get up and rush to the door. I open it and Roger soon yanks me into a bear hug.

"It's alright, love. He's gone, Bryce can't, and will never hurt you again. Come on, let's get home." He says.

I just want this to all end.