Two: Girl

The last school bell of the day clashed through the large building.

It was already late evening, the streets were filled with cars, the pathways were crowded by pedestrians. Even though the day was slowly coming to an end, the Ikebukuro district of Tokyo city was only waking up. It was this time of the day when commuters were packing up and leaving, and the streets were being slowly overflowed by their true habitants - members of gangs, rebellious teenagers, and bizarre subcultures.

But it was also the time for many kids to finally leave their school desks and come back home. Together with the last bell, which had just clashed through this particular school, a battery of primary school kids invaded the exit gates. Their loud, cheerful conversations were mixing into a one, nearly indistinguishable hum. It didn't take much time for them to blend in the crowd of other pedestrians and leave the schoolyard empty and quiet.

Ikebukuro was truly a place where all of the strangest things were happening, where all of the people's stories were forming a one, coherent novel, full of irony and abstraction.

The unnoticed girl leaning on the school's wall was just one of many pieces of this never ending story.

She was approximately seven year old, like the kids who had just left the school. What was, however, making the girl different from the other kids was the fact that she wasn't wearing any uniform. She definitely wasn't one of the students of this particular school. In fact she wasn't a student of any of Ikebukuro's primary schools. Where did she come from? What was she waiting for?

Her backstory was too complicated to explain this in one sentence.

What was important - the girl was waiting. Her expression was indifferent, throughout this whole time she didn't make any needless moves.

It was already getting dark, but the girl was patient. Finally, the last kid left the school. The girl peeked at the chocolate haired boy from behind the wall which was surrounding the school's area.

It was him.

The boy's pace was slow, he didn't seem to be in hurry. He was heading towards the exit, but he wasn't looking ahead - his eyes were scanning the evening sky through a pair of thick-rimmed glasses. He seemed to be a perfect depiction of someone with their head in the clouds.

The boy passed by the gates and he would have continued walking if it wasn't for the girl, who spoke up.

"Hey, you!", she exclaimed loud enough for the boy to jump up in surprise. He turned around and pointed at himself, confusion drawing on his face.

"Me?", he asked, but as he looked around, he realised that the girl must have meant him. The street was empty.

"Are you Shinra Kishitani?", she replied with a question.

The boy scanned her from head to toes, wondering if he had ever seen her. It didn't take him much time to ascertain himself that it was surely their first meeting. This made him even more suspicious about who the girl was and how she got to know his name.

"Who are you?", he inquired with reserve.

"I want to talk to your father", the girl dodged the question. Her voice wasn't imperious nor arrogant. Actually, it was hard to say that it held any tone. Despite the girl's mysterious behaviour and untypical stance, which would suggest presumption, her eyes and her voice were clean from any sign of emotion. Or rather, they were just packed with too much feelings for anyone to distinguish a dominating one. Maybe these contrasts, which seemed to be beaming from the seven year old girl, were the reason why most of the kids unconsciously chose to ignore her when walking out of the school. But the boy, who experienced much stranger things than his peers, didn't feel any kind of awkwardness in front of her. He was just surprised that somebody knew about him.

"Why?", he asked, feeling progressively more confused with each response the girl was giving him.

"Unimportant", she replied.

The boy, who was supposedly named Shinra, sighed.

"I don't think you'd like to meet him", he said straightforwardly.

"I don't. But I have to", the girl replied as straightforwardly as the boy. "Just show me the way to your house", she added. She clearly wasn't planning to explain anything. The boy shrugged in surrender.

"I won't stop you. If you want to meet my father, you can just follow me", he said, taking a step forward.

They were walking in silence. The girl was following the boy quietly, all the time keeping the same distance of two steps between them. Even though the girl was moving unnaturally soundlessly, the boy was extraordinarily aware of her presence. She was like a living shadow.

Somehow, his impression wasn't that far from the truth.

From time to time, the boy was looking behind him in search for some kind of a clue, which would tell him what was going through the girl's head. But each time he did that, her expression was equally stoic. Finally, he gave up on trying and continued walking ahead.

When they reached a small block, the boy knocked on one of its flats' door. They didn't wait long for the door to open sharply, revealing a silhouette of a tall man dressed in a long lab coat. It was hard to see his face, since it was fully covered by a gas mask, which would often scare other people off. His family was often telling him to throw the needless object away, but he insisted that the air in Tokyo was extremely polluted.

The boy peeked at his companion with apologising expression on his face. He was ready to see the girl being slightly confused or even scared, but what he really saw was something completely different. Even if it was just a moment, he was sure that he had just experienced the girl displaying a clear emotion.

It was fright.

She didn't move nor wince. Her expression and body remained the same. What was different were her eyes. This little spark that the boy noticed was something indescribable and at the same time alarming. This wasn't the look of someone who was just scared off. It was calling for help.

The boy opened his mouth to say something, but his father was faster.

"Who is she?", he asked, turning his head to the boy. His face might have been covered, but his voice couldn't hide his wariness.

The boy wanted to explain, but the girl cut him off.

With effort, she managed to put a crooked smile on her emotionless face. She bobbed lightly before speaking up.

"Good evening, sir", she started, making her voice sound unnaturally polite. "My name is [Name], I want you to teach me medicine".