An Old Friend ~ 4

~Earlier that day~

   "What?! You're running away?" Zalon stared, incredulous at his friend, Tylan.

  "I can't live here anymore. It's eating away at my soul." Tylan stood at the narrow window of the decrepit tower. Ruin and ash were all the eye could see for a hundred miles around. Trees had quit growing on the Northern Isles five-hundred years ago and grey was the only color to greet the people of Yi'il. The Shamans had struggled to work their dark powers to raise a forest to secure their hidden city, but just like their monstrous master, all their magic did was destroy everything it touched.

   Tylan turned away from the gloomy scenery and sat down cross-legged across from his old friend.

   "Open your eyes Zalon. You and I both know the Elders are plotting something and with your father leading them-"

   "Step-father," Zalon spat.

   "Sorry. Step-father. Well... everyone in Yi'il knows he's always wanted to conquer the Southern Isles, ever since he was High Prince. And now he's Kreoul of Yi'il, there's nothing in his way."

   Tylan peered into his friend's dark eyes as if to look past the veil of royal blood and seize a glimpse of the friend he had once known.

   "I know you won't sit by and let Xennas slaughter thousands to accomplish his revolting desires. You have too much of a heart for that."

   Zalon snorted, "And it was that 'heart' that gave me this." With a quick motion, he tore off the black cloth protecting his lower face to reveal a hideous red scar that ran over his nose and across his right cheek. Tylan grimaced at the sight of the wound and guilt wrenched his heart.

   "After that monster of a man caught us stealing food, and I covered for you, he gave me a beating I'll never forget."

   Tylan's silvery eyes fell.

   "I'm sorry," he mumbled, "But that food will serve Marleen and her family for a month. The old woman has four grandchildren and no one to provide for them. They were mighty thankful."

   Zalon grunted and wrapped his face. He leaned back and gazed up at rotting timber. The abandoned watchtower was on the outskirts of Yi'il. No one would look here for them. Besides, Zalon had told Mel that he would be out practicing if anyone asked. Practice. That's one thing his step-father demanded of Zalon. Practice. Practice. Practice. He spent most of his days doing just that, hoping that one day he would be strong enough to defend himself from Xennas. He could escape. After his scar, the thought had crossed his mind once or twice. He was getting better with his abilities. He no longer passed out after transporting himself and his telekinesis was so powerful he could lift a boulder without breaking a sweat. There was also something else that could help...

   "I have another ability."

   Tylan's brow raised in curiosity.

   "A third?" He whistled, "Impressive. Most Guardians only developed two. What is it?"

   "It's... difficult to explain." Zalon stood up and brushed the dust off his black trousers. "Let me show you."

   He stood still, eyes closed in concentration. Then, he vanished.

   Tylan laughed.

   "Is this a joke? I already know you can teleport, dummy." He looked around the room to see where Zalon had gone to.

   "But you didn't know I could teleport to here." Zalon hollered from outside. Tylan scrambled to the door and swung it open, revealing a prince with smiling eyes.

   "How did you-" asked Tylan, confused, "I thought you said you could only teleport if you could SEE the location."

   "That's true. And I did see." Zalon squeezed past his friend and closed the door. "It's so hard to explain. It's like looking from another pair of eyes."

   Zalon turned to a confused Tylan. He sighed.

   "I can see everything around me. Like looking from the sky, down. But I have to close my eyes for it to work."

   Tylan's confused expression slowly morphed into a wide grin.

   "This. Is. AMAZING!" He exclaimed, "This changes everything about your teleportation. Do you mean to tell me you can see beyond a wall? Behind closed doors? Can you also hear things? Smell? Does this apply to all the senses or just sight?"

   Zalon smirked and placed his hands on his hips. His friend had an unhealthy obsession with his powers. Tylan noticed Zalon's smirk and stopped rambling.

   "What?" He asked.

   "You're doing it again,"

   "Doing what?"

   "Geeking out on me."

   "Pshaw. Get over yourself, there's hardly anything to geek out about you."

   The friends fell into a fit of hysterical laughter like they were children all over again. However, Zalon's cheek flared up in response to his snorts. He quickly stopped and, grimacing, raised his hand to cradle his wound. He saw his friend struggle to gather himself and sorrow pierced his heart.

   "I can't go with you," whispered Zalon.

   Tylan stopped laughing and his face fell in disappointment.

   "Why not?" He asked.

   The dark prince remained silent for a few moments.

   "I can't."

   "It's your step-father, isn't it?"

   "No, it's-"

   "You're scared of him."

   Zalon's face burned hot with blind rage.

   "I. Am. Not. SCARED."

   He vanished from the room and materialized a few yards away from the tower. He crouched low, afraid that Tylan would see him.

   He has no right to say such things. Zalon thought. He's doesn't know what I've gone through, what has happened to me.

   He heard Tylan call his name from inside the tower.

   He can risk his life trying to escape, but I won't. It's suicide to leave this place.

   With that, he disappeared once more, this time to return home to his family's palace. The ancient home of his ancestors, a long line of dark Guardians. Guardians who had fought on the side of the Order in the battle five-hundred years ago.

   It was a dark place, one that came right out of fairy tales and myths. The home of his childhood.

   Kever K'shaw.