The Forest ~ 12

Kuriya's footsteps echoed down the bare hallways of the castle, her scarlet hair cascading down her back and bleeding into her magenta gown.

   She hustled past gleaming candles and gaping doorways. Down the dark hall she continued until finally she reached a heavy, oak door. Words from an ancient language carved their way around the frame as she placed a pale hand on the door. Guttural sounds issued under her breath and the symbols glowed with a pale light. There was an audible crunch, like the sound of bones breaking, as the door opened inward. Kuriya regained her composure and hurried into the room before the door shut itself closed. Outside in the hallway the symbols faded away, and the door resembled nothing more than standard oak.

   Kuriya pulled a small dagger from the inside of her flowing garments and pressed it gently to her palm, drawing a small drop of blood. She whispered that same language and an orange flame flared to life in her hand. She walked over to a small desk and casually dropped the flame into a metal dish. All around the room identical plates burst to life with the small orange flame. 

   "That's better," she breathed. She looked around her little safe room. Shelves of old, decaying books and scrolls lined all four walls, in the corner stood a bird cage with a few red robins (a rare and special species), and in the center stood something that resembled a battered cauldron. The air of the room was thick with the odor of blood, the substance necessary for all dark magic. In fact Kuriya had drained twenty of her precious birds just to set up the door.

   She hurried to one shelf and brushed her fingers along the spines of the books, reading them as she hurried on. She stopped at one and pulled it out slowly, dirt falling from its pages. She hefted it across the room and onto a table where she gently opened it. Hurrying through the pages without trying to damage them, she looked desperately for something. 

   "Aha," she cried. Grabbing frantically for a piece of parchment she quickly scribbled out that same strange language. Once she had finished, she carelessly stuffed the paper into a hidden pocket and rushed out the room. Once the oak door shut behind her, the flames went out and engulfed the room in complete darkness.                                                            

                               .                    .                    .

   Zalon woke up, head pounding.

   Where am I? He thought.

   He stared up at a wooden roof, not made of boards, but... roots? Roots intertwined together, stretching throughout the room. He lifted his head, too fast at first and his vision blurred accompanied the sound of blood rushing past his temples. He leaned back down and waited until his vision was clear again. Slowly, he raised himself up, leaning back against the bed frame. The room was small and sparse. A single dresser stood against a wall, next to a closed door. Beside his bed was a stand with a wooden cup and a basin full of water. He reached for the cup but then cried out in pain. 

   That's right. The arrow. 

   It had pierced his back. But... how did he get here? How had he survived? His plunge into the sea should have taken his life if the arrow hadn't. His throat burning from thirst but unable to reach for the cup, he laid back down, slowly, onto the bed. It was soft, warm and comfortable. Zalon felt himself sink through fur blankets. He had never slept on a bed like this before.

  What material is it made of? He wondered.

   His eyelids drooped.

   Who brought me here? What do they want with me?

   Sleep overcame him and his thoughts were drowned in a deep slumber.

   And he dreamed.

   He dreamed he was in the sea. Someone was floating in front of him. A man, not much older than himself. Twenty-one, twenty-two maybe? Light brown hair swirled around his head, shading bright blue eyes. The stranger grabbed Zalon's wrist and pulled him up. Zalon could almost feel his chest tightening. The man sped up. Swimming faster, and faster until suddenly they broke through the surface.