Chapter 1

My suitcase drags behind me as I shuffle through the wide halls of the airport. A big grin blossoms on my face and I can't help but speed up, eager to catch my flight. My mother, a few feet behind me, sighs and picks up speed.

I am heading down to Australia for a once in a lifetime opportunity. Ever since I was eleven, I had a camera by my side. The pile of disposable cameras that I had filled prior to my first official camera was big enough to fill a small swimming pool. Now, four years, several wedding shoots and a successful instagram presence later, my work has been noticed by none other than Australia zoo.

My dream is finally coming true, with the chance to be a camera assistant to the further tracking and research of a certain crocodile species. I am not sure who exactly will be working with me, or the circumstances of the job, but am grateful for the opportunity and experience it will offer.

The zoo has graciously offered to pay my plane ticket for me, and I should be staying at the zoo or in tents for a few weeks while I focus on shooting, organizing, and possibly editing pictures.

“Hello. Passport and form of identification please?” the attendant behind the check-in counter asks. I was too enveloped in daydreaming about photographing such a beautiful species that I had completely forgotten where I was. My mother, who had driven me to the airport, nudges me and I snap out of it.

“Oh, uh. Sorry about that,” I chuckle. My passport is at the very bottom of my purse, as I haven't traveled in forever, so it's rather awkward trying to get it. When I do find it, I smile and stretch my hand out for the him to take. “Yes, here you are.”

“Okay, you're all set. Here's your boarding pass. Flight MHA 3 will be taking off in an hour and a half. Please make your way through security. It's to the left, over there,” He points out where I'm supposed to walk, then hands me back my ticket and passport. He waves a hand to someone behind me. “Yes, I can help whoever is next.” I step to the side but my mother lurches forward to ask questions before anyone can get up next.

“Hello, yes, my child will be flying unattended by an adult on this flight I was just wondering if there's any reason that would not be permitted?” Her eyes plead with the man to give a reason why I could not go. But he only smiles tightly and shakes his head.

“Many airlines suggest children under fifteen be enlisted in an unaccompanied minors program but seeing as your daughter is fifteen right now, it should not be a problem for her to fly alone,” He spurts. My mother's mouth pops open to protest, but he shuts that down quickly. “And seeing that she has traveled to Europe before by her passport, I assume that she has flown to other destinations in the United Stated and can handle a flight.”

I stuff my belongings back into my purse, embarrassed by my mother staring dumbfounded and at a loss for words at the young man. I suddenly becoming very aware of how crowded the airport is as everyone behind us seems agitated by the holdup.

“Mom, let's go,” I whisper. “now please.”

In my excitement, I had completely forgot about everything else besides photographing the beautiful species. Every person glaring at me reminded me that I probably looked like a crazed little girl who just rummaged through the airport's dumpster, as I hadn't even bothered to brush my hair this morning. A blush erupts across my face and I kept my head low as I stroll over to get my bags checked.

“Honey, do you really think this is such a good idea?” my mother pipes up from a rather elongated silence. She hadn't bothered to voice any concern on the ride here, knowing I would just shut it down. “It's just… I don't know, honey. It seems a lot for anybody. Never mind a fifteen year old!”

I slow down and look over my shoulder to face mom, expecting to be met by a persuading stare. But instead, my mother's eyes were fixed on her shoes and the only thing I could see in them was fear. I know she's technically right. But hey, I'm not going out the first day I get there. I have a crash course to make sure I know all of the basics, despite already studying for a over month on my own.

“Mom,” I hush sympathetically. “I know you're scared. But you don't need to be. I'll be with trained officials, and I will be trained a bit myself. If anything, this trip will make me even more safe. Okay?”

I could tell by the way mom glanced up that she had plenty more to say on the subject, but she let it drop. A guilty feeling floated through my abdomen. But I could not pass up such a promising job.

“Well, honey, I guess I should leave now,” she gasped. “And um…oh, I'm going to miss you.” Mom pulled me into a big hug and squeezed me tight. I let go of my suitcase handle and let it fall down to return the gesture.

“You will write to me, won't you?”

“Yes mama, I'll write to you whenever I can. And when I'm not working and can't send a letter I'll keep a journal for you to read.”

“Sounds amazing.”

We separate from the hug and my mom bends down to pick up my suitcase. She hands it over and nods to me, a small tear rolling down her cheek.

“Love you honey.”

“Love you mom.”

She turns around, and heads towards the way we came. I watch her disappearing figure as she reaches the doors, turning around to wave one last goodbye once reaching them. I can't help but smile, knowing I'll miss her, and wave back. Once mom goes back through those doors, I will not see her for at least a month. Not wanting to change my mind,I turn on my heel to wait for my flight.

A/N

Hey guys! So yes, I'm just going with the animal that makes the most sense: a crocodile. Also I'm finally updating and that's wonderful. In other news, I need help picking a title! I'm very bad at naming things (thus the very boring chapter title lol so original). Anyways I was thinking "snapping at crocs" because they're taking pictures of crocodiles and also crocodiles snap, so it's a pun? Or maybe "Getting gators" or something. I need to know for my cover so please help! Other suggestions appreciated.

- write_with_tea 💚