Chapter 2

“Hello? Oh my, thank goodness you're okay. Was the flight good? Is it hot there? You brought sunscreen… right?”

I chuckle at my mother's concern and stick my phone between my shoulder and cheek as I struggle to get my bags by myself.

“Well let's see,” I start, tapping my chin. “The flight was pretty okay. Almost twenty hours in a plane is just unbearable, but at least I was able to get a good amount of sleep. I hope that the jet lag isn't so bad. I got a few beautiful shots of the sky too.”

“You brought sunscreen though?”

“Hold on. I'm getting there,” I giggle as my mom huffs on the other end. “Anyway, I haven't left yet so I have no clue how hot it is outside. Considering I was told it was summer here, I assume that it is rather hot. And yes, I brought three bottles of sunscreen. I'll put some on soon if you really want me to.”

“It's okay, you don't need to do it this second, just at one point,” my mom assures me. “Anyway, I've been worrying for so long, I'll probably take a nap now that I know you're safe. I love you. Call me when you can.”

“Okay, I will. Love you, bye.”

Once I have finally obtained my bags, I walk into the nearest bathroom. Considering I did not properly get ready before boarding my flight, and then proceeded to nap the entire time, my hair would be a wreck. I check my bag for a hairbrush and luckily, there's one in a side pocket. Sighing in relief, I glide it through my hair until I'm tangle free.

I bend over so my hair hangs down in front of me, and gather it all up into my hand. With my other hand, I pull the emergency scrunchy on my wrist over my hair into a presentable enough ponytail. I then examine myself in the mirror. I'm not much of a makeup gal, but I put some mascara and a pinky nude lipstick on. The first impression my employers will have of me is important. Then, per my mom's instructions, I apply a light lather of sunscreen over any visible skin.

I also take the time to review what I have chosen to wear for today. I had chosen khaki colored shorts, perhaps wishing too much to fit in with the current employees of Australia Zoo. To go with that, I had white tennis shoes, light purple socks, and a light purple button up. I wondered if the zoo workers would think I'm strange for trying to look like them. I eventually decide that I don't care and everything will work out.

Taking a deep breath, I stroll out of the bathroom and make my way towards the entrance. A few minutes into walking, I see a sign with my name on it. At first I feel a tad scared, but realize that the zoo probably sent somebody to pick me up. I scold myself on the inside for being so paranoid.

I casually stroll over to the man, trying not to show how nervous I really feel. To my dismay, he seems to be persistently looking around me.

With all of the courage I can gather, I gain the attention of the chauffeur and say, “Hello, I am F/N. Are you from Australia zoo?”

“Uh, yeah,” the young man greets, finally looking at me. An apologetic smile crosses his face. He was clearly caught off guard. “Sorry. I was just expecting someone….”

“Older?” I giggle. He nods, and reaches a hand out.

“I'm Billy. I'll be escorting you to Australia zoo.”

“Nice to meet you Billy.”

We shake hands, then stand in silence once again. It starts to get a bit awkward for me, as Billy still seems to be in shock. Eventually, he snaps out of it.

“Let me help you with your bags,” he chimes. “Follow me, the car is this way.” We each take a bag and walk towards the car. My excitement returns as the beautiful sunshine hits my face, and I finally feel the impact of reality. I'm in Australia. I'm really in Australia right now.

I climb into the passenger side of a jeep, and Billy places my baggage into the back. Once that's all settled, he pulls himself into the car as well, and we are on our way.

“So, ” he starts, attempting to make conversation. “I don't mean to be rude. But just how old are you? You look about sixteen or so. I mean no offense, but really.”

I chuckle at how close his prediction was.

“Actually I'm fifteen,” I smirk. He whistles. “Yeah, I get it, I'm a little on the younger side. But what about you tough guy? You don't look older than twenty one.”

“Well that's because I'm not. I'm eighteen.”

“Oh, well there, you can't even tease me. You're also pretty young.”

“Yeah but I'm an adult.” He retorts sarcastically. “And oftentimes adults are hired for difficult jobs. Like driving. Or… mmm, i don't know, photographing a dangerous species?”

“I can handle myself,” I defend. “Besides, Robert Irwin is fifteen and he's photographed lions. What's a crocodile compared to a lion?”

“Hey, crocodiles are pretty tough creatures little missy. And in that case, Robert is a trained zookeeper. He deals with this every day, especially crocodiles,” he snorts a bit, not even attempting to hide his amusement at the idea that I can handle myself out in the wild. “You, my darling, don't look like the type to roll around with animals every day.”

I roll my eyes at that and look out the window. I know there's no reason to argue with him. He's right, i don't spend my days with exotic animals. Not yet. I smirk at the thought of one day photographing animals every day. Perhaps with Robert Irwin by my side. I close my eyes and relish in the thought.

A bump in the road sends me jerking up in my seat. The universe, maybe, is telling me to get a grip on my daydreams. Just then, I look out the window. A beautiful horizon is spread out before me. The trees are a vibrant green and mountains leave an echo far in the back of the landscape. I pull my camera out from my bag, and put the leather loop around my neck.

I take a sharp breath and snap the picture. A few, just in case. Then I place my camera down to experience the moment and really take in everything around me through my senses.

The wind whooshes past my face, whispering in my ears. It smells like sweet hay and despite our windows being rolled all the way down, there's a comforting warmth to the air surrounding me. I close my eyes and breathe in the fresh air. It's not even humid out, which I had been expecting.

Five minutes into me leaning towards the window with my eyes closed, Billy nudges me back to earth. I hum in response, determined to keep my eyes closed for just a few seconds longer, but he swats my arm again.

“What?” I whine, cracking an eye to look at him.

His mouth is pulled into a straight line, and his face seems a bit red. Probably the heat.

“Must you sleep on the twenty minute drive?” He chides. “You're making me tired.”

I roll my eyes and turn my head back around to face out the window. He turns on the radio, and a song I've never heard before starts playing.

“You look away from me
And I see there's something you're trying to hide
And I reach for your hand but it's cold
You pull away again
And I wonder what's on your mind.”

It's really rather pretty. So I turn towards Billy again to ask him what song it is.

“You've never heard it?”

“Um, well, no,” I confess. “That's why I'm asking you.”

“Huh. Well, it's called ‘Be alright’ by Dean Lewis.”

It comes to the chorus and Billy grins and sings along with it. My favorite part was:

“Let her go, it'll be alright.”

I chuckle and lean back in my seat. Everything is perfect.

A/N

Yeah, so I could not wait any more. Or force any of you to wait. I think this came out okay. Still no Robert...sorry! He's officially introduced in chapter four. We discuss him next chapter too, but don't meet him yet. Sorry! Just trying to build plot. I have some plans of where to go now and I'm actually super excited.

I hope you like it!

- write_with_tea 💚