Chapter 4

“Bye, Riley,” Billy was half leaning out his window waving goodbye. I didn't know if I was ready to be left alone. “The guest room is up the stairs, first door on the left. Your bags are at the end of the bed.”

“Thanks,” I mumble, taking a shy step backwards toward the house, hands in my pockets. The excited vibe of this morning seems to have diminished.

“I believe someone is home with Stella. Terri's busy so that leaves Robert or Bindi. Stella is a little thing,” he adds thoughtfully. “She's adorable. Let her smell you though.”

I nod, and give a small wave as Billy rolls back down the driveway in his jeep. I glance at the large house behind me, beautiful yet intimidating, and throw a longing stare back at Billy's descending car.

Ms.Irwin had told me the door would be unlocked because someone would be home by now. They plan to give me a spare key a different day. I couldn't believe how much she trusted me. Not like I'm complaining or anything.

Who was supposed to be home again? Terri never mentioned that. Billy said Bindi or Robert. I haven't met Robert yet. He seems like a huge sweetheart.

I hesitantly push open the door. Nothing happens at first, as I had expected. It was simply my imagination getting the best of me, dreaming up something to worry about.

After a minute of standing in the entrance to the Irwin family residence, an adorable little pug comes running towards me. She jumps in excitement and I smile and kneel down so I can scratch behind her ears.

“Awww, you must be Stella. Who's a good girl?” I coo. “Yeah you are. Ohhh. You like ear scratches? Yeah…”

Stella wiggles onto her side with a huge floppy grin as I continue to scratch her head and stomach. I pat her stomach two more times before standing up. Stella quickly squirms up onto her feet as well.

“Come on girl,” I coax, patting my leg. “You live here. Help me find where I'm staying.”

Stella stares up at me with a big goofy smile and I glance around the room. I see a staircase a little bit to my left. Billy had said “Up the stairs, first door on the right.” hadn't he?

I climb the stairs, Stella padding right next to me. Once we reach the stairs, Stella continues to waddle down the hall, and whimpers at the very last door.

I push open the door to the right and am surprised by how decorated the room is. There is a picture of Steve Irwin and a little boy, who I assume to be Robert, on the nightstand next to the bed. Moving forward I see another family photo of Bindi, Robert, and Terri all hugging each other in their zoo uniforms. The same one on Ms. Irwin's desk. This doesn't seem like a guest room.

There are a few animal research textbooks piled on a desk nearby. One of them is called The big book of reptiles, opened to a page about freshwater crocodiles. And I realize there's a hamper over by the closet. “Not my room.” I blush, feeling guilty for invading someone's privacy, and turn around to leave.

Unfortunately, I was so enveloped in the confusion from stumbling into the wrong room that I hadn't heard anyone greeting Stella down the hall. And I hadn't heard them walk down the hall to the room I was standing in now. When I turn around, I almost bump into a blonde haired, blue eyed teenage boy. Robert Irwin.

I open my mouth to greet him but decide against it, as I don't want to freak him out. I'd feel uncomfortable if someone who I’d never met knew my name. Instead, I continue staring forward into his eyes with a gaping mouth. Robert takes a step away from me, eyebrows raised in suspicion, and I snap out of it.

“Oh-h, hello,” I squeak. “I'm sorry, I'm in the wrong room. Billy told me r-right, or-r at least I thought he said right. But I guess it's not… right.”