Chapter 5

My alarm blares, and I immediately spring up to shut it off, startled awake. I huff in frustration with my loss of sleep and lay back down, burrowing into the covers.

The bed in Mrs. Irwin's guest room is very comfortable, I must say. It makes getting out of bed incredibly hard. Although I'm sure that jet lag and the fact that it is five o'clock in the morning also contribute to that.

I roll off of my bed and thump onto the ground, dragging my blanket off in the process. I slowly open my eyes and take the time to review what I had done yesterday.

I unpacked all of my belongings, then explored the Irwin household. My first mission was to find the bathroom. It took me only about two minutes to locate one, as it was just down the hall. I wandered the household afterwards, feeling very much so like an intruder.

I stand up from the ground and stretch out my back, blanket falling off in the process. I shiver from the slight loss in heat, but continue reaching high up towards the ceiling. I recall last night's dinner in this time.

Ms. Irwin arrived home sometime around five thirty pm. I still hadn't any idea where Robert was off to but she seemed very tired, and started on making dinner anyway. I offered to help.

"Oh, Y/N, you don't need to do that it's all right i can handle it on my own."

I smile and take a cucumber from the pile of vegetables she assembled, responding " I'm sure you can but everyone could use a little help sometimes. Besides, it will go faster this way."

She nodded and handed me a new knife from the drawer next to her.

"Cutting boards are underneath that cabinet," she informed me, pointing downwards. "If you are so insistent on helping me."

I smile and reach down to get a sturdy wooden cutting board. Terri dumps the lettuce she was tearing up into a large metal bowl and picks up some celery to start chopping.

"So," she starts with a smile. "How's everything been so far?"

I slice the cucumber in half and chop off bits and bits, contemplating if I should relay my embarrassment. It's not a very hard decision.

"It's been absolutely wonderful. You have a beautiful house Ms. Irwin."

"Oh," she squeaks. "So sorry Y/N, I meant to tell you. Call me Terri."

The chopping of cucumber ceases, and I glance over warily.

"You're sure? Most people prefer their last name."

Terri nods, and dumps her celery into the bowl of salad. I follow suit, and slide my cucumber slices off into the metal bowl with my knife.

We finish cutting the salad up in silence and once we're finished Terri turns to me.

"I'll start on the chicken. Why don't you go get Robert for me please," she requests. "I assume you two have met?"

I nod, and she points out backwards toward two glass doors. "He takes Stella out around this time. There's a path that they walk down and back on. Just walk down a bit and start calling their names. One will run back."

Terri chuckles and I join in on the laughter with her. It was rather funny, imagining Robert sprinting towards me like a dog.

I slide open the door and am hit with beautiful fresh air once more. The sun is shining, though disappearing a bit. I stroll down the path that Terri had pointed out and suddenly feel anxious.