Prologue - The Fifth Champion

No Revali just yet sorry, he'll show up in the next chapter don't worry ;) General POV but kinda through Zelda's eyes

~~~

"I'm sorry Princess Zelda, but I can not help you"

The chief of Zonai Village, who sat in front of the princess rasped apologetically, which was soon followed by a rough coughing fit. The stone walls and ceiling of the meeting room echoed from his hacking. Two Zonai villagers that stood next to him were attempting to soothe and comfort him.

The golden haired princess of Hyrule bit her lip but sighed nonetheless. She could only have guessed that would've been his answer.

"I completely understand," Zelda began solemnly, "and I apologize for troubling you. If my father had known the state of your health, I'm sure he wouldn't have asked for your help with such a task" She stood up from her sitting position, the rugs under her feet creased against the stone floor.

Brushing dust from her dress, she continued, "We'll just have to keep searching for the right person to pilot the last Divine Beast"

"Oh but the right person is here!" The Zonai chieftain exclaimed suddenly, his coughing subsided, "I can not help you fight against Calamity Ganon, but there is someone here who can! Princess, may I suggest my daughter go in my place?"

Zelda paused for a moment, unsure of how to answer this sudden proposal, "Forgive my hesitation sir, but not just anyone is right for the task of controlling a Divine Beast. Vah Harune made that clear to us"

"I can promise you that she is a capable warrior, the most skilled among the village. And I'm not just saying that as her father" He grinned cheekily at that last sentence, the wrinkles on his face deepening.

Zelda smiled faintly in return, she remembered how highly her father spoke of the fierce chieftain who led the Zonai people. How close the two were before she was born. If this girl was anything like her father then perhaps there was a chance...

"I suppose it's not out of the question. Where may I find her?"

"Around this time she'd be at the training grounds" The chieftain, now trying to stand as well, was reaching for a walking stick leaning against one of the walls. The helpers started protesting but were silenced abruptly.

The princess followed the hobbling chief outside and was hit with a gust of humid air. The damp forest surrounding the village clung loosely to a mid morning fog.

Following soon after, the princess's shadow began to tail them. Zelda rolled her green eyes as her appointed knight, Link, who had been waiting close by the door, silently kept in pace behind her.

The three of them walked along the stone pavement in silence. The chieftain would occasionally make a comment here and there. Along the way, villagers would stop to stare as they passed by. Zelda couldn't tell if it was because of her or from seeing their chief up and about.

Thankfully the training grounds weren't that far away. Zelda wasn't sure if she could walk any slower!

Ascending the large stone steps, the three of them made there way up an elevated plateau. What laid atop was a fenced off training ring with flattened dirt on the inside. Shelves of weapons and fighting dummies laid scattered outside the ring.

In the middle stood a girl, looking around Zelda's and Link's age. She was surrounded by five people, all holding different melee weapons. The only weapon the girl wielded was an unusual looking quarterstaff. The long stick appeared to be entangled in tree roots.

Without warning, the five opponents charged simultaneously at the girl. She, in turn, took a stance and laid out a series of rapid swings and jabs. Blocking any advances made towards her and swung hits on all who came near. It was incredible! Zelda had seen royal guards fight with quarterstaffs before. This however... The princess had never seen a fighting style quite like this one. The girl was quick and agile, almost as if she could read her opponent's next move before they could even display them. A familiar sensation pulsed through Zelda, the same feeling she felt when witnessing the other Champions in action.

"You see?" The chieftain spoke up suddenly, Zelda had forgotten he was there, she was that entranced! "I wasn't exaggerating in the slightest, my (Y/n)'s really something special"

As soon has he said that, the girl, (Y/n), turned her head in their direction, finally noticing them. A look of shock came over her face.

"Father!?"

In that moment, (Y/n) made quick work of her opponents. One by one she dropped all of them like flies. They looked mostly unharmed. 

Jumping the fence, (Y/n) ran over to the chief. "Father! What are you doing out of bed? You should be resting!" Carefully, she directed him over to a near by seating area.

"Now, now, (Y/n) mind your manners. There's someone here who wishes to speak with you"

(Y/n), finally acknowledging Zelda, glanced at her, then at Link, then back at Zelda. Caution and confusion written over her face.

"You're... Princess Zelda"

"I am. It's a pleasure to meet you (Y/n), I have something to ask of you"

~~~

With that, Zelda told (Y/n) of the Champions and the Divine Beasts. How they were planning on stopping Calamity Ganon and how the last Divine Beast was in desperate need of a pilot since it had rejected Link (which Zelda said that last part almost too happily)

"And what makes you think Vah Harune won't reject me as well?"

"Well... we won't know unless we try. But in the end Vah Harune will have the final word"

(Y/n) turned her doubtful eyes to the ground.

"I have a strong feeling about you (Y/n), I know we won't be wrong again"

(Y/n) clenched her staff tightly in both hands. Her brow furrowed in thought, looking overwhelmed. She hadn't said anything for the longest time. Her eyes glanced towards her father, silently pleading for guidance.

"My child, it's alright"

"But father... You need me here in the village, don't you?"

"This mission is bigger than the village" He said firmly from his seat, "I recommended you for a reason (Y/n), and I have no doubt that you'd be a great Champion. But I will not force you, the decision to go is yours to make"

(Y/n) took a deep breath and for a brief moment Zelda thought she was going to refuse. But then a smile settled her face, eyes lighting up the same way they did during the fight.

"Princess Zelda, it would be a great honor to aid you in this endeavor. I will win Vah Harune's favor and be your Hylian Champion"

~~~

Prologue is out woooo!! Thx for reading! Be on the lookout for the first chapter! That's when u'll meet u know who~