Chapter 5 - Harm

Omg writing this chapter was such a pain rip

~~~

A few days have passed since arriving at Rito Village. Zelda and Link had left just the other day. They'd gotten a transmission from Daruk saying his Divine Beast, Vah Rudania, was malfunctioning and needed some repair work. Naturally I assumed I'd be going with them. That is, until Zelda informed me that Goron City was located atop of Death Mountain, an active but stable volcano, and that if I went with them my wooden quarterstaff would instantly burn up from the extremely intense heat. Which I certainly did not want to happen.

I felt bad that I couldn't go but Zelda said it was alright, said that I should enjoy myself for a little bit. I think she knew something was off. Ever since I found out that the other Champions had special abilities, I had been feeling some self doubt about my position among the team. In the meantime, I'd taken the princess's advise and enjoyed my time in the village.

I'd tried looking for Revali a couple of times. Thought hanging out with him might help me feel better. But ever since he challenged Link I haven't seen him at all! The locals say that the 'Pride of the Rito' doesn't spend much time in the village these days. They say he's either up roosting in Vah Medoh or doing all day training sessions at the Flight Range, the village's archery grounds. I'm not able to ascend into the skies myself, so that was out of the question. And when I tried travelling to the Flight Range, apparently my warm gear wasn't warm enough!

So instead of fretting over someone not wanting to be found, I settled with spending my time in the village. Currently, I was hanging out with some of the local Rito children. I had met a few during the time I've been staying here. They were more approachable than the adults.

Fixing my sitting position, I leaned back against the railing as two fledglings ran passed me. Their small talons clicking against the wood of the platform as they chased each other happily. Smiling to myself, I glanced up to watch the clouds pass by. The occasional Rito would fly into my line of sight.

"(Y/n)! Come play with us!"

Drawing my attention away from the sky, a small fledgling with burgundy feathers stood in front of me. Her eyes were big and bright with excitement. This fledgling was Maeni and she was especially fond of me. She always wanting to hangout with me, which I was grateful for.

"Not today sweetie, I'm kinda tired" I said apologetically, "Why don't you sing something for me instead?"

"Okay! But my flying's better than my singing" The young Rito proceeded to let out a string of rhythmic chirps. She says she isn't good, but I thought her voice was beautiful! Perhaps she meant that it wasn't good by Rito standards? Regardless, I could feel my troubled mind slowly easing up...

"Hmph, isn't this cute"

Well that didn't last long. Interrupted, Maeni's singing abruptly stopped as we both glanced in the direction of the new voice. It was that rude Rito from the other day! Think his name was Touma?

Seeing him now oppose to the last I saw him, I could make out more of his appearance. A long ponytail hung from behind his dark feathered head. He wore traditional Rito armor with a longbow strapped to his back. His sharp amber eyes were glaring at me as if I'd just eaten his lunch.

"What do you want Touma?" I said as I stood up, holding back my own glare.

"Oh, nothing" He sauntered onto the platform like he owned the entire village, "I was just going about my business, enjoying my day. And then I see you" The smugness once in his voice turned into a challenging tone, "Why are you still here?"

At this point, most of the children had stopped playing and were silently watching the scene unfold. I had to be careful how I handle this.

"Not that it's any of your concern" I didn't know what this guy's problem was or what he was trying to do by antagonizing me but I refuse to back down, "But I came here on Champion business and also because Revali recommended I'd visit your lovely village. Why do you care why I'm here anyway?"