Prologue

"Hey buddy! Your coffee's ready!"

I called out loudly into the busy café, looking around for the familiar face I knew would be there.

A young man walked up, a baseball cap pulled low in a vain attempt at disguise.

"Here you go." I held out the cup towards him.

He didn't take it.

"You didn't call out the name." He finally made eye contact with me, his warm green eyes filled with mischief, a slight grin tugging at the corner of his mouth.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not saying it."

"I'm pretty sure those are the rules."

"Really, Jack?" I laughed, causing his confident expression to slip. "How about I REALLY follow the rules, use your real name AND call out what your true order is: a hot chocolate with extra whipped cream..."

He panicked, holding up a finger to his lips while glancing desperately around to see if anyone was listening. "SHHH!"

"...And extra sprinkles, purple only. " I held the drink out of reach with a triumphant smirk, correctly predicting he would try to lean over the counter to grab it.

Jack frowned at his failure to secure his beverage. "The purple ones taste better. And coffee tastes like dirt."

I raised an eyebrow. "You know it's a free country. You can order any type of drink you want."

"Yeah, but people have... expectations. When they find out I drink little kid stuff like this, they laugh."

" I didn't."

"Yeah, but you're even weirder than me." Jack gave up reaching for the cup in my hand, admitting defeat. "You win. May I have my drink, please?"

I nodded with approval. He learned well. I took a deep breath, loudly calling out: "DARTH VADER, your extra tall manly coffee with extra caffeine and bitterness is ready!" I paused; appreciate the general apathy of the crowd despite my ridiculous words. "Better?"

He laughed unrestrainedly, taking the hot chocolate. "Thanks, Megan. You made my day."

I waved goodbye to him, and turned back to the counter to help the next customer. Even while I worked I kept an eye out for Jack. Even in the crowded café he stood out. There was a sense that he was special, that there was a spotlight shining on him.

Of course, he WAS the male lead of a romance story.

It had been three months already since I found myself in this strange set of circumstances.