bellyache

-I hope you find what you're looking for

I read the text twice and then shake my head in disbelief.

"What?" Sai asks from beside me.

I don't look at her. "Nothing," I say as I type my response to Jessie.

-Fuck. You

For the past week and a half, we've only been communicating via text and as infuriating as that is, part of me appreciates the informal sense of things. I didn't have to talk to him. I could ignore him in person all that I wanted, but I knew that without fail, he'd send me a message because he can't help himself and he knows that I'll reply because I can't help myself either.

-You wish baby

I laugh and tuck my phone in my bag as Ms. Cruller finally makes an appearance.

"You're weird," Sai whispers.

I shrug and we move on.

English ends and as I'm making my way to my locker Sam falls into step beside me. "What do you want?" I ask without looking at her. Things have been better between us, but her brother tends to cloud my judgment and make me more hostile that I mean to be.

"Jessie's got a date this weekend," she says cautiously.

I swallow bile but offer no reaction. "Good for him." It's a lie. Bad for him. I don't want him dating anyone that's not me, no matter how bad things are between us.

She stops just before I reach my locker. "Just letting you know. As a friend." Then she walks back the way we came.

I whip out my phone and open Jessie's text thread.

-So much for 20 measly days. Asshole

I know that it's not fair. Of course it's not fucking fair, but I don't care anymore. It's also not fair of him to convince me to give him another shot at friendship just for him to go all cold on me after a week.

Angrily, I switch my books out and slam my locker shut. I jump back when I see Jessie standing there. Pressing my books to my chest, I stare at him. "What do you want?"

He holds my stare and for a second, I swear it's just the two of us in the hallway. "You didn't want to even give me twenty days, remember? I'm giving you an out. I'm backing down, Quinn. I meant what I said about you finding what you're looking for, cause it sure as hell ain't me."

I jut my chin out in defiance and smile. I'm practicing not being so quick to anger and making my mother proud, I hope.

Instead of mentioning his date, I try a different approach. "You still owe me a picture. You said that you'd show it to me after the month was up." He sighs and I grit my teeth, already forgetting my plan to be nicer. "I don't care if you no longer want me, Jessie." A total lie. "You still owe me that picture, twenty days or not."