Episode Five

Nico and Eli's place was nice

Nico and Eli's place was nice. They lived in the best student apartments on campus and compared to my small dorm room they were living large.

"Mark won't be home until later," Eli said as I stood awkwardly in his living room. "Make yourself comfortable."

Why did people always say that? It was impossible for me to do that.

I glanced around at the furniture, which was much nicer than what I had while growing up. "You have another roommate?"

Eli chuckled, tossing his hat on the breakfast bar. He scratched his scalp, loosening up his flattened hair. "You really don't know anything about me, do you?"

I wrapped my arms around my waist. "I never tried to know you."

Eli walked around the table, stopping in front of me. He softly pulled one of my hands free and turned it over to examine my palm. Goosebumps spread up my arm as his finger moved along a line in my palm.

Eli seemed to be deep in thought. "It looks like you could have a long life ahead of you, but it depends."

"What?" I glanced at my palm.

"See this right here?" He touched where two lines intercepted at strange angles. "This means you'll have a major life event happen very soon that'll change you forever. If you choose right, you'll have a long life."

I wanted to tell him a major life event already happened in my life, but I didn't want to talk about that. I'd tried to tell Todd, and I thought he'd understood, but I'd been dead wrong.

"You know how to read palms?" I grinned.

Eli's eyes flicked up to mine. "My gramma taught me. She's sensitive to energy and stuff like that."

"Can she see dead people too?" I smiled, wanting to know more.

The light in Eli's eyes dulled as he released a long breath through his nose. "How come everyone asks me that? No. She can't see dead people. She can do some insanely cool stuff, but it's not like she's a Satan worshipper, Lilly."

My question had apparently been the wrong one. "Hey, I didn't mean anything by it. Can't I be curious?"

"You can be whatever you want." Eli dropped my hand and walked to the kitchen, opening the fridge. "You want a beer?"

A beer? No. I most certainly did not want a beer. Between everything with Delia and Rick plus Jessica, alcohol wouldn't help my situation one bit.

"No, thanks," I said.

Eli grabbed a water bottle and a can of beer from the fridge. He popped the can open and took a long drink, handing me the water bottle without making eye contact. What the hell?

"Thanks," I muttered as the front door swung open.

"Jess, we can go back out later. We need to stay inside for now." Nico pulled Jessica in the front door.